Criticize my current XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on an upgrade project of some old Infinity speakers having changed both drivers and xo.

The drivers I have are the Seas L18RNX and the SB Acoustics SB29RN. These are the measures I did on the box:

Woofer:
L18RNX.jpg

Tweeter
SB29.jpg

This is my actual crossover:
net1-rev3.jpg

net2-rev3.jpg

And the simulated graphics:
phfr-rev3.jpg

Am I on the right way? Any recommendations or changes you would suggest?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge

Last edited:
Hi,

Except for the zobel the L18 high pass is identical to Zaph's L18 h.p.
Can't see much wrong with the l.p. to tweeter either.

IMO the resistance of the notch inductor is not that critical, i.e.
a cheaper one with a higher DCR would still give a useful notch,
not as deep but somewhat wider, checking Zaph says as much.

rgds, sreten.

Very nice job :)

From the SB Acoustic off-axis response (datasheet) I find that the tweeter could be better matched to a smaller driver than L18RNX/P. The L18.. seems to have a very symetrical dispersion pattern from 2,5kHz down to about 800Hz - opposite to the SB that looses directivity control at relative high frequencies. I therefore believe your speakers can be very sensitive to room and setup.

Question is, could you try the tweeter in a waveguide? That could allow for a better off-axis response matching between the two...

Hi,

Except for the zobel the L18 high pass is identical to Zaph's L18 h.p.
Can't see much wrong with the l.p. to tweeter either.

IMO the resistance of the notch inductor is not that critical, i.e.
a cheaper one with a higher DCR would still give a useful notch,
not as deep but somewhat wider, checking Zaph says as much.

rgds, sreten.

Thank you sreten, I'll try that.

Very nice job :)

From the SB Acoustic off-axis response (datasheet) I find that the tweeter could be better matched to a smaller driver than L18RNX/P. The L18.. seems to have a very symetrical dispersion pattern from 2,5kHz down to about 800Hz - opposite to the SB that looses directivity control at relative high frequencies. I therefore believe your speakers can be very sensitive to room and setup.

Question is, could you try the tweeter in a waveguide? That could allow for a better off-axis response matching between the two...

Thank you Tytte, some day I'll try one of those waveguides, I think there's one from Monacor that can be used. On this case tho the cabinet doesn't permit it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.