Naim Arriva drive unit upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, I'm mark. I'm new to the forum and I'm a home cinema and music enthusiast. I've been using a system comprising 2x pair of Naim arriva loudspeakers with the Ncent center and B&W pv1 subwoofer. My processor is Denon AVPA1HDA and I'm using Myriad MA240 power amps.

my question is, I'm happy with the cosmetics of my system, however I'm interested in upgrading the sound quality of the speakers. The basis of the Arrivas are Vifa drive units and I was wondering what suggestions you might have for higher quality replacements. At the moment I'd say money is not an issue, and I will rein it in from there. I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas and thanks for your time :)

What don't you like about the speakers?

I have had a pair at my home. The tweeters were broken. Had all the drivers out. (ok drivers though)..
Fixed the speakers.

But the speakers sound really bad. Lifeless is a word that come into mind.

You cannot just change the drivers into something "better". that demands a whole new crossover and tuning.
Expensive, takes alot of time.
My suggestion. Sell them.

Last edited:
What don't you like about the speakers?

I have had a pair at my home. The tweeters were broken. Had all the drivers out. (ok drivers though)..
Fixed the speakers.

But the speakers sound really bad. Lifeless is a word that come into mind.

You cannot just change the drivers into something "better". that demands a whole new crossover and tuning.
Expensive, takes alot of time.
My suggestion. Sell them.

I wouldn't call the sound lifeless at all. Actually I really like the sound of them, I just thought that the drive units used were relatively run of the mill and replacing them with something better would take them onto another level.

my musical tastes are dance and trance and I love the speed of a sealed enclosure. I use the Audyssey multi eq processing in my system to tune them for my room. They are a bit room fussy though so I understand why you could have found them a little flat. I'm just looking for better dynamics I guess. I have my processor set to 60hz crossover and anything lower is diverted to the subwoofer, this really lifted the dynamics. Also I have them mounted on granite plinths as I'm on a 3rd floor.

here is some further information about my speakers and the drive units within.

photo-7.jpg

photo-2-1.jpg

photo-4-1.jpg

no , it´s used in many sub + satelites configuration , i use it in my setup 3 ways (8" 4" 1" ) + subwoofer . bass only becomes direcional near 100 hz , but i dont like the sub higher , 80 is best , you just need to experiment with your subwoofer volume.

do you have Dave Matthwes band cd , behind these crowded streets ? tracks 4 and 4 are superb for bass tuning ( the intire cd is)

what size are your drivers ? 8 or 6 1/2 woofer + 1 " tweeter

Last edited:
no , it´s used in many sub + satelites configuration , i use it in my setup 3 ways (8" 4" 1" ) + subwoofer . bass only becomes direcional near 100 hz , but i dont like the sub higher , 80 is best , you just need to experiment with your subwoofer volume.

do you have Dave Matthwes band cd , behind these crowded streets ? tracks 4 and 4 are superb for bass tuning ( the intire cd is)

what size are your drivers ? 8 or 6 1/2 woofer + 1 " tweeter

2x 6.5in mid/bass and 1x 3/4" Tweeter as pictured.

Id like to share my thoughts on driver replacement. These are the units im considering.

2 X Scan-Speak 18W8531G
1 X ScanSpeak D3004/6600

I would have to upgrade the crossover to accomodate these and id like them to run in a 2.5 way configuration. What are your thoughts?

that's practically exactly what I was thinking. I've calculated that I'd need to have my arriva enclosures slightly modified for the speakers to fit. The holes would need to be slightly larger. How easy is this to do? I'll probably be paying someone else to do it. Now I've seen those my other option is to sell the arrivas and buy the revelator tower. I'm sure I will get good money back on my speakers as complete units. What do you think?

you have to buy the enclosure and speakers separately, make the crossover , i prefer sealed as it comes by default , if you want ported you have to buy the port and drill all the driver and port holes

Speaker Cabinet MD38T Maple 38 Liter - Each: Madisound Speaker Store

what are the dimensions of your cab ? if they are different the result is unpredictable.if you´re not used to work with wood maybe it´s not a easy thing to do

why dont you make an experience : buy the scanpeak drivers , remove the naim ones and use the crossover you have , find someway to put scanpeak drivers temporarly on the cabinets(without damaging the cabs, lie them down maybe so the drivers dont slip away) and listen how it sounds , that can give you a clue what to do.

if you want to do the zaph project , you have to buy the enclosure and speakers separately (i prefer sealed as it comes by default) , make the crossover , if you want ported you have to buy the port and drill all the driver and port holes

Speaker Cabinet MD38T Maple 38 Liter - Each: Madisound Speaker Store

your cab is slightly smaller than the madisound cab , i would try to keep the old ones(they look well built and expensive with the granite) and change them ,if you have someone skilled for the job , better ! , dont know if the madisound cabinet has better quality , since you have subwoofer the low end is not a big problem.

185x4(woofers)+175x2(tweeter)+200x2(cabinets)+150x2(crossover)=1800 euro+paying someone to fit speakers

if you sell your current speakers you will get +-50% of their value when new

For what its worth the drivers used in the Arriva aren't bad at all. The vifa mid/bass are good performers. The XT19 is a nice driver too, although I wouldn't choose to mate it with a 6.5" mid/bass that's for sure.

You can get decent improvements over both drivers if you're prepared to spend the money. The drivers you came up with are extremely good and do represent what you could consider as some of the best available. They are also, as someone else pointed out the same drivers that Zaph used in his ZRT 2.5 way. This helps to make things very simple as you can simply build his xover and know you're getting a good design.

I do not recommend modifying the Arriva's in any way whatsoever, sell them, they were once worth a quite a lot of money so should provide you with a lot towards the funds necessary to build the ZRT. If money isn't an issue, then build the ZRT first before selling them so you've still got a pair of loudspeakers to listen too.

I also do not recommend using the xover in the Arriva's with the drivers proposed as that would more then likely end up with a mess.

If you're wanting to do this properly then buy the ZRT 2.5 way components + xover and either buy a madisound cabinet, or find somewhere that will make the cabinets to your design. There is no point in ruining an otherwise perfectly sell-able pair of loudspeakers with a hodgepodge of drivers expecting things to work out.

Cutting driver holes and rebates into a cabinet isn't hard, but you do require the right tools - a router and a circle cutting jig. I cant imagine it being too hard to find somewhere or someone that will do this for you.

Hi,

Simply sell the speakers and start from scratch. Your plan is not remotely
cost effective. The fitted drivers have probably the best midrange of any
6.5" when used properly, but weaker in the bass end, not an issue for a
HT set up with a sub.

Any "upgrade" of the drivers with a half-arsed c/o update will be worse.

The ZRT is likely better, but build it from scratch, sell the Naims.

rgds, sreten.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.