Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Naim Arriva drive unit upgrades?
Naim Arriva drive unit upgrades?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2011, 11:00 AM   #1
perrin21 is offline perrin21
diyAudio Member

Default Naim Arriva drive unit upgrades?

hi all, I'm mark. I'm new to the forum and I'm a home cinema and music enthusiast. I've been using a system comprising 2x pair of Naim arriva loudspeakers with the Ncent center and B&W pv1 subwoofer. My processor is Denon AVPA1HDA and I'm using Myriad MA240 power amps.

my question is, I'm happy with the cosmetics of my system, however I'm interested in upgrading the sound quality of the speakers. The basis of the Arrivas are Vifa drive units and I was wondering what suggestions you might have for higher quality replacements. At the moment I'd say money is not an issue, and I will rein it in from there. I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas and thanks for your time :-)
Old 25th September 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
bambadoo is online now bambadoo  Norway
diyAudio Member

What don't you like about the speakers?

I have had a pair at my home. The tweeters were broken. Had all the drivers out. (ok drivers though)..
Fixed the speakers.

But the speakers sound really bad. Lifeless is a word that come into mind.

You cannot just change the drivers into something "better". that demands a whole new crossover and tuning.
Expensive, takes alot of time.
My suggestion. Sell them.

Last edited by bambadoo; 25th September 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 25th September 2011, 05:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambadoo View Post
What don't you like about the speakers?

I have had a pair at my home. The tweeters were broken. Had all the drivers out. (ok drivers though)..
Fixed the speakers.

But the speakers sound really bad. Lifeless is a word that come into mind.

You cannot just change the drivers into something "better". that demands a whole new crossover and tuning.
Expensive, takes alot of time.
My suggestion. Sell them.
I wouldn't call the sound lifeless at all. Actually I really like the sound of them, I just thought that the drive units used were relatively run of the mill and replacing them with something better would take them onto another level.

my musical tastes are dance and trance and I love the speed of a sealed enclosure. I use the Audyssey multi eq processing in my system to tune them for my room. They are a bit room fussy though so I understand why you could have found them a little flat. I'm just looking for better dynamics I guess. I have my processor set to 60hz crossover and anything lower is diverted to the subwoofer, this really lifted the dynamics. Also I have them mounted on granite plinths as I'm on a 3rd floor.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm happy to upgrade the crossovers as well as the drive units. Surely the enclosures are good enough to keep? Some companies supply crossovers with the speakers, won't these be suitable?
Old 26th September 2011, 11:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

here is some further information about my speakers and the drive units within.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th September 2011, 12:07 PM   #6
lduarte1973 is offline lduarte1973  Portugal
Banned

you can route everything below 80hz to your subwoofer , that will help dynamics
Old 26th September 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
you can route everything below 80hz to your subwoofer , that will help dynamics
I have experimented with crossover settings using audyssey, i chose 60hz, dont you think 80hz is a bit high?
Old 26th September 2011, 01:26 PM   #8
lduarte1973 is offline lduarte1973  Portugal
Banned

no , itīs used in many sub + satelites configuration , i use it in my setup 3 ways (8" 4" 1" ) + subwoofer . bass only becomes direcional near 100 hz , but i dont like the sub higher , 80 is best , you just need to experiment with your subwoofer volume.

do you have Dave Matthwes band cd , behind these crowded streets ? tracks 4 and 4 are superb for bass tuning ( the intire cd is)

what size are your drivers ? 8 or 6 1/2 woofer + 1 " tweeter

Last edited by lduarte1973; 26th September 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
no , itīs used in many sub + satelites configuration , i use it in my setup 3 ways (8" 4" 1" ) + subwoofer . bass only becomes direcional near 100 hz , but i dont like the sub higher , 80 is best , you just need to experiment with your subwoofer volume.

do you have Dave Matthwes band cd , behind these crowded streets ? tracks 4 and 4 are superb for bass tuning ( the intire cd is)

what size are your drivers ? 8 or 6 1/2 woofer + 1 " tweeter
2x 6.5in mid/bass and 1x 3/4" Tweeter as pictured.
Old 26th September 2011, 02:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Id like to share my thoughts on driver replacement. These are the units im considering.

2 X Scan-Speak 18W8531G
1 X ScanSpeak D3004/6600

I would have to upgrade the crossover to accomodate these and id like them to run in a 2.5 way configuration. What are your thoughts?

Naim Arriva drive unit upgrades?Hide this!Advertise here!