PMC clones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, my first post and already I'm trying to pick brains.. :vampire:

Building a PMC TB2 clone and looking for any info on them, seems there are some pics about TB1 online but nothing about TB2 (I'm talking about open cab pics)..

Anyone got cab schematics? I know it's a long shot..

Will be using different drivers than the TB2 and a different designed from scratch crossover so they are not exactly clones, but I am trying to replicate the cab detail as much as possible so in future I can pop in some Vifa's and see if it changes anything

Cheers!

clonez

The guy building the TB1 clone is not taking in account the thickness of internal bracing panels.. they are thinner than the walls.

I also think (judging from photos on the net) that they are actually plywood, and walls made from MDF. There must be a reason behind this... I will try to include such details in my design.

That TB2i looks like a good little speaker to copy, but if you're going to make the cabinet dimensions the same and the length of the line and port the same, I'd be inclined to at least keep the woofer the same, I'd imagine a TL that was tuned for a different driver would be a little bizarre sounding, wouldn't it?

That is a concern of mine also, I have very little experience in this but I do dabble in audio engineering so I can trust my ears.. If it sounds wierd I will know straight away.
After all this is just an experiment..

However... I was wondering if there is some software that calculates the tuning maths?
And if there is, does it do TL designs?

Aaaargh so many questions.. I was hoping to just get the PDF and build the thing!

That is a concern of mine also, I have very little experience in this but I do dabble in audio engineering so I can trust my ears.. If it sounds wierd I will know straight away.
After all this is just an experiment..

However... I was wondering if there is some software that calculates the tuning maths?
And if there is, does it do TL designs?

Aaaargh so many questions.. I was hoping to just get the PDF and build the thing!

I'm pretty sure hornresp can do TL, but I'm the wrong guy to explain how, I can barely use it myself with lots of handholding, lol.

You may be able to put the driver you planned on using into hornresp and inputting the copied TL dimensions and see what's going to happen exactly.

Excellent - many thanks!

I saw a schematic online that was calculated going from these PDF's, the thickness of the walls etc, everything. Somebody did a good job!

At the moment trying to reverse engineer some x overs and trying to talk my friend into cutting the baffles for me.. hopefully soon will have something .. pics coming!

That TB2i looks like a good little speaker to copy, but if you're going to make the cabinet dimensions the same and the length of the line and port the same, I'd be inclined to at least keep the woofer the same, I'd imagine a TL that was tuned for a different driver would be a little bizarre sounding, wouldn't it?

Well, more or less. A transmissionline is some kind of "handsome" regarding swapping out drivers. What you should to keep the same is the required cabinet volume of the driver, f3 and SD.

A driver that will work as a replacement of the old vifa M17WG is this one:
Monacor SPH-175HQ (measures a lot better too).
If my simulation is right, even the Scan Speak Discovery 18W8434G00 will work among many other drivers.

Is it me or are these PMC transmission lines not soooo difficult to reproduce ?

Is it a lot more complex in the IB1 & higher models?

The answer is no and yes.
The line itself is not very complicated. It the damping that needs some try and error, but even that isn't rocket science.

Regarding the models IB1 and up.
The lines are different but even less complicated. Look in the brochures for some sketches.

Hi everyone,

I've built a pair of TB2s with the Seas DXT Tweeter.
I used standard egg crate foam and built the cabinet according to the drawings PMC themselves offered on their website a while ago.

Here are some measurements:

SPL 0-90deg
TB2DXT Winkelmessung.jpg

Impedance
TB2DXT Imp.jpg

Sonogram
TB2DXT Sono.jpg

PowerAverage
TB2DXT Power Average.jpg

Crossover
TB2DXT Weiche LR2.jpg

Measurements from the magazin "production partner" (source: Gearslutz.com)
pmc tb2s+ production partner.jpg

Regards
Jochen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.