Which 15 or 18 ınch woofer- best for open baffle

Hi again
Just some more user feedback. I’m still happily using my 4x 15” Thornton T1501-45-8 setup from post #86. The Woofers are playing alongside a pair of Martin Logan Quest (and a pair of Hawthorn Silver Iris. See below). The 12” woofers (sealed) in the Quests has no chance compared to the Thornton OBs and are therefor not used. I actively cross over at 110Hz 24dB and they blend in nicely with the Martin Logan panels which I believe are crossed over at about 150Hz 12dB passively.

I have also gotten hold of a pair of Hawthorn Audio Silver Iris* speakers with a pair of Augie 15” bass woofers. These woofers are highly rated on the net and they do sound very good indeed.

So how do the cheap Thornton compare with the acclaimed Augies? Well the quick answer is that I don’t use the Augies but the Thorntons! But in all fairness 1 woofer just can’t move the sane amount of air as 4 woofers can. If money were no object, I would go for 8 Augies. In comparison I rather have a Rolex than a cheap Casio even though the Casio is more accurate😉 Believe me there is NOT a big difference in sound between the two woofers. The Thorntons really sound good as do the Augies.

I also have another recommendation. The GRS 10PF-8. I have played around with these low cost 10” woofers. They also sound really nice. They go down to about 40Hz, but of cause the SPL is limited compared to the 15” woofers. But only so that 95% of the time I could happily live with them. I have tried 2 woofers a side but will try 4 per side soon. I’m to building a speaker with 4 of these per side along an Eminence beta 10cx and maybe a Selenium D220Ti CD tweeter for a friend. My friend is into bass heavy music like rap and hip hop, so 4x 10” per side will most likely be needed.

*I’ve modded the Silver Iris speakers. The stock compression driver tweeters were a little hard/metallic sounding to me, so I’ve changed them to the B&C DE 250 drivers and changed the crossover. This is really a killer combo. Highly Recommendable!

Hej,

the 16-Ohm Faital is interesting, but maybe only in multiple aplications, I fear. One single unit in a decent OB will end up with app. 83 dB/2,8V, but goes down app. 40 Hz (no EQ applied).
I was just currently checking for an 18-inch driver for an application where the AE Dipole 18 was not suitable (due to high price and low efficiency, but 25 Hz at 84 dB/2,8 V) and found the Eminence Omega Pro-18C (the C is important): not that expensive, decent Xmax, and 45 Hz at 91 dB/2,8 V. This would be my choice for the moment.
With OB bass it´s always a compromise of baffle size, driver size, efficiency and reach deep low...

Hälsningar

Mattes

Attachments

• C8224A5B-E976-45B8-A395-E62D2AB0EB04.jpg
    C8224A5B-E976-45B8-A395-E62D2AB0EB04.jpg
    970.3 KB · Views: 597
there is something new to try today ?
its strange that its so unusual with drivers made for open baffle .

the 16 ohm version of 18fh500 has 0.53 QTS FS 30hz
FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 18FH500

Maybe this one is good for OB :)
#Aliexpress US $3,268.00 | HF-102 HiFi Speakers 33 Inch Super heavy Subwoofer Bass Speaker Unit Loudspeaker HIFI Speaker 16Ohm
HF 102 HiFi Speakers 33 Inch Super heavy Subwoofer Bass Speaker Unit Loudspeaker HIFI Speaker 16Ohm| | - AliExpress

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have also seen OB with low Qts pro 18s that were tamed with a passive crossover and it worked well.
But Qts does matter because of how it affects the FR. You will need either a lot of power and caution not to run out of x-max, or you'll need a lot of attenuation and loss of sensitivity. Either way, there is no free lunch. A driver on open baffle is never going to be very efficient at the bottom end.

But at least low Q woofers are generally very sensitive, so you go in with an advantage. Although you sort of end up in the same place.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Kjeldsen - here is a question for you:

If we start with 3 different woofers of the same diameter but different Qts on an identical baffles, what is the bass sensitivity of each? Let's say we compare 3 woofers with a Qts of respectively 0.28, 0.7 and 1.0. I ask because it's something I have never actually measured or even simulated. Would be useful to know.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Right. I might have a look at what simulation software says, as I'd be curious to know how far apart different types of woofers are at the bottom of the range. It's the bottom of the range that sets the sensitivity you have to work with. You have to either boost that up to match everything else, or attenuate everything else to match it.