port-seal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a speaker, the woofer of which models well in both sealed and vented boxes (Dayton DC300).

I want to first try it ported, and if I find the bass to be too flabby, I will want to seal it. This will be done before the box is finished with veneer. The box construction is 2 x 17mm particleboard sandwiching a layer of bitumen roofing felt.

Can I just screw on the front panel, so that I can later unscrew it to seal the ports? Will the particleboard be able to take this abuse? Is there any way of sealing it from the outside, before finishing it with veneer?

Any other easy way to experiment with and without ports?

Attachments

• speaker with bracing.jpg
    speaker with bracing.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 117
Hi,
depending on the plastic pipe or port tube you select there are expanding plugs available. Most are using a wing nut to compress a rubber gasket sealing the inside diameter of the pipe. plumbing supply dealers should be aware of these thingys.
This way you can change your mind back and forth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.