Best horns from 2-3 kHz for TAD TD-4001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for the best solution for a pair of TAD4001's - operating from 2-3 Khz somwhere, and upwards. ET-703 on top of that.

Any suggestions? Salad bowls? Le Cleach? Full roll-back? Wood? Bill Woods?

Looking for the ultimate in sound rather than efficiency, as it is high enough already:lickface:

OK without trying to offend Hornresp militia, you will be wasting TD4001 at 2-3khz cross and small horn IMHO. Bigger the horn -better it sounds, also I like it better with resistive Lpad (an old EV Lpad with quite a bit inductance to kill TADs peaky HF a little). It sounds bad in Salad Bowls (I have Edgar 350Hz) and Dr. Edgar has a theory that TAD 4001 was developed with it's own TH 4001 horn in mind and highly resistive padding to ameliorate it's defficiencies. I would not use it in any Tractrix except 180-250Hz with crossing no more than 7khz. Myself I much preffer JABO KH55a round exponential to Edgar horn.
Look at Cessaro Acoustic , their 4001 horn although tractrix like is at least 250Hz in size. Anyway over 3k you may use it without any horn with open back as a dome midrange....:)

If used as a direct radiator, the 1201 will be quite beamy: ~70° at 2khz, and ~50° at 3khz (with lobs...), so you are looking for a horn with a narrow dispertion (and the ET703 will be a mismatch).
Also using the 4001 only down to 2/3khz is a bit of a waste, as it will certainly be better than the 1201 in the 1khz-3khz range (lower limit also depending on the horn, of course)

If you choose a 90° horn the 1.5khz would be the maximum crossover point to use.

Why not look for a TH4001 clone and use it down to ~1khz?

If used as a direct radiator, the 1201 will be quite beamy: ~70° at 2khz, and ~50° at 3khz (with lobs...), so you are looking for a horn with a narrow dispertion (and the ET703 will be a mismatch).
Also using the 4001 only down to 2/3khz is a bit of a waste, as it will certainly be better than the 1201 in the 1khz-3khz range (lower limit also depending on the horn, of course)

If you choose a 90° horn the 1.5khz would be the maximum crossover point to use.

Why not look for a TH4001 clone and use it down to ~1khz?

Are you shure the TD-4001 sounds better than the TM-1201 below 2-2.500 Hz? I have both here, with TH-4001 also.

I haven't done any comparisons directly so far, at the moment I'm having cabinets built foir the 1201 but I did test out these elements in a temporary installation, ran them up to 3 kHz and xovered to some ribbons, and I really liked that midrange. Very snappy, unbelievably clean and powerful, drums, rimshots, fabulous.

Yuichi's Lab

Looking for the best solution for a pair of TAD4001's - operating from 2-3 Khz somwhere, and upwards. ET-703 on top of that.

Any suggestions? Salad bowls? Le Cleach? Full roll-back? Wood? Bill Woods?

Looking for the ultimate in sound rather than efficiency, as it is high enough already:lickface:

Have a close look here.

Yuichi's Audio Lab.

At this C/O frequency, you might consider using the TD-2001 or TD-2003 instead.

Regards,

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.