translinear speakers: any info on these speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am being offered some translinear speakers. Apparently that is the name of the brand. Here is what the guy told me:

"They are Translinears (not the ESS Translinears from the 70s, I think it's a different brand, I bought these in 1983). About 800mm high, very solid and heavy, config is tweeter-mid-woofer, the woofer is about 10" (maybe 12" - I'm overseas right now), infinite baffle. I had the cone tweeters replaced with domes a few years ago and had all the rubber rings replaced. Finish is a mid brown woodgrain veneer of some sort. They have their original mesh fronts and believe it or not, look almost new."

At the moment I have very little to go on, other than the brand name, and when it was build/bought. So if anyone can give me some help that'd be great!

Here are pictures as requested:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think there's room to grow with them, but I can take it slowly since they already sound good.

These appear to be what we here in the USA call "white van speakers".

Speakers that are made as cheaply as possible, and intended to be sold using a "pitch" from the back of a truck or van. As in: "hey, they sent too many out, do you want to buy some expensive hifi speakers?"

Unfortunately for the buyers they are usually rather low-end speakers... caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Sorry to give you bad news.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.