Suggest me a speaker to build (first timer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow diyers, after building several amps, preamp and digital sources, I want to try building my own speakers. I have a pair of Zu Druids that I am pretty happy with, these are full range speakers with a super tweeter, they are also very effiecient (101db).

My collection of amp's include F3, F5, ICEPower ASP1000 and LM3886 PA150, out of those, PA150 is my current favorite.

I am thinking of getting a premade cabinet from Madisound, as well as getting the tweeter and woofer from them. Which woofer and tweeter should I get? I want to start out with a bookshelf size, unless somebody has anything against them. Also, I want them to sound better than my Druids, how much would I have to spend to achieve that?

Thanks! ;)

Hello fellow diyers, after building several amps, preamp and digital sources, I want to try building my own speakers. I have a pair of Zu Druids that I am pretty happy with, these are full range speakers with a super tweeter, they are also very effiecient (101db).

My collection of amp's include F3, F5, ICEPower ASP1000 and LM3886 PA150, out of those, PA150 is my current favorite.

I am thinking of getting a premade cabinet from Madisound, as well as getting the tweeter and woofer from them. Which woofer and tweeter should I get? I want to start out with a bookshelf size, unless somebody has anything against them. Also, I want them to sound better than my Druids, how much would I have to spend to achieve that?

Thanks! ;)

Getting a particularly "dynamic" sounding speaker with decent bass extension usually requires a LOT more interior volume and the use of higher efficiency drivers.

In other words it will be tough to come close the Zu for these aspects in a small typical "hi-fi" loudspeaker. On the other hand you can get better aspects in other subjective areas.. like detail, imaging, and sound-staging. You can also always use a sub (with a high-pass filter for the small loudspeakers) to "fill-out" most of the low freq. extension and a fair bit of the "dynamics".

A design that I often recommend for an overall balance of virtues at a decent price is Troel's "Poor Man's Strad".. it is however larger than any bookshelf speaker and it does require some wood-working.

With respect to your current plans:

Most of the cabinets on offer still require wood-working for the front baffle. Parts Express has similar cabinets, and perhaps more attractive ones. In particular their "gloss-black" cabinets are a particularly good value considering the amount of work that requires.

This is a design you might like that makes use of a small pre-built cabinet:
The Seas ER18DXT ported two way
ZaphAudio of course has others..

Also, try looking through HTGuide's "Mission Accomplished" section:
HTGuide Forum - Missions Accomplished!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, my carpentry skill is lacking, that's why I want to get something premade. But I am pretty sure I can saw off a round hole in the front (they are made out of wood, not metal, right?)

I am going to start out with a project of $800 or so for bookshelf size speakers (walking before I can run), with premade enclosure. And if I find them better than my Druids (except for the bass part, perhaps), I will move on to bigger sizes. Does that sound like a descent plan?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.