Do I part out my 107's on ebay or rebuild the woofers as the surrounds are shot...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had there since new so I don't feel they owe me anything! They have sounded awesome and ALWAYS out auditioned anything I brought into the house from new to now.

Around christmas one started cracking to the bass and I started researching to find the surrounds will degrade over the years.... They have. I have proof.

I recently pulled out the woofers--- 3 outer surrounds are powdered as well as 2 donuts.

Ironically the 4th surround (both inner and outer) is intact! Why you may ask? I did too.... THE DRIVER IS SEIZED. The voicecoil is solid with the cone.

I found a local place that will refoam the drivers but the guy says they may be damaged as they have slight binding when exercised. He says there was very little tolerance in these drivers when they were new and there may just be bits of surround in them. It is also hard to push equally on the cone with no surround to keep the vc even.

He said the stuck driver is garbage.

OK... Now my questions...

The speaker covers are long gone as is the KEF cube. The mid/ tweeter heads are both in nice cosmetic condition and work as they should.

The x-overs are working then I assume.

Should I ebay the individual parts or has anyone substituted different woofers in the cabinets with any success?????

I have 2 additional sets of 107's that were going to be a surround system (6 total) when I finished my basement but that still may be quite a bit in the future.

I'm going to inspect the other speakers as I have time and fix the surrounds before they destroy any more woofers!!!!

Opinions?

***** UPDATE******

I just removed the bottom of speaker set #2 and BLOWN SURROUND....

SET #3 (My PERFECT pair--- not a scratch or nick in them...)...
Pulled the bottom cover and the surround is still intact... sticky and on the verge of failure but good.... These could be refoamed and for sure be serviceable.

OK. to recap---

I NEED 12:eek: 11" drivers refoamed and at least one rebuilt as it is seized.

I need to further disassemble to find out if there are any more seized drivers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.