Why do Klispch and JBL use titanium compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not all Ti phrams are the same. I haven't traditionally like them myself given the unit's I've tried, but the newer design 18Sound drivers I have don't seem to be as annoying, sounding more like the Al and poly units I generally prefer. Not measurements to back it up ATM though.

I have compared phenolic (stock) Klipsch k79k tweeters with tiatanium diaprhragms and the ti`s are smoother more extended sounding and seem to have more headroom. They are mor relaxed and easier to listen to. Same goes for the mids. I have compared phenoluc mids in the K700 the K701 and the min in the Forte ll and the KLF 20. In all cases I heard essentially the same differences as with the tweeters except I thought the difference was more pronounced in the mids. In a word they are smooth in two words smooth and detailed. I would not consider switching back but I am open to listening to other materials. Just my experience. Best regards Moray James.

Let's not overlook the fact that in certain usage requirements, harsh can potentially be good. I never use my Klipsches to play music for the reasons mentioned in this thread, but when it comes to watching a violent movie, I'll take the harsh punchiness of the Klipsch towers over the smoother notes of my music setup without a second thought.

Something about that bite really draws me into movies.. Maybe that's at least one reason we see these harsher-sounding drivers used so often in IMAX and other theaters? Just my humble .02

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In live music having an "Edge" or "Bite" to the sound is great to cut through with music like rock. Does it sound smooth? No? Is it what you'd want for home? Probably not. But does it cut thru crowd noise, bad acoustics and stage wash? Yes!

Isn't rock supposed to be aggressive, anyway?

Dave,
Do you mean beryllium?
TAD only ever used titanium in a horn-loaded tweeter for the TSM 300, a small nearfiled monitor that was really targeted to the pro-sumer market. Otherwise, all the true pro drivers use vapor deposited Be.

Andrew

I'm thinking of the 80s era pro compression drivers. My recollection was that they were heavily into pure titanium diaphragms. (Or at least advertized as such.) No?

David

Did a web search and you appear to be right. So JBL came up with faux Titanium in response to the TAD Berylium diaphragms.

I was there when JBL changed from aluminum to titanium diaphragms in the 2421 to 2425 drivers: the two materials did NOT look the same. The performance was different as well, in both sound and durability. Where did this notion of faux titanium come from?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.