the Magnum loudspeaker

like?

• yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Magnum 3-way loudspeaker

Truly a terrible name! But this box incorporates a bottle that once held 1,5 litres of Chateu-neuf-du-Pape. What can you do?

Why? This is my first step away from the slim two-way. I wanted surplus dynamics! Surplus everything. I wanted a loudspeaker that could play painfully loud if told to, with the promise of potential to do so. Second reason: someone told me the Deltalite and the 10F couldn't be mated because of their sensitivity differences. Well now I think it's possible.

Drivers:

bass: Deltalite ii 2510
Midrange: Scan-Speak 10F-4424G00
Tweeter: DT-28N.

This is a strange collection, in that the sensitivity of the midrange is only around 90 dB, and the bass and tweeter about 96-97 dB.

Midrange: 10F-4424G00 in-a-bottle.
Why? The bottle was introduced because I disliked the sound from a 1 litre boxed enclosure used in a muck-up.

The bottle had it's bottom sliced off with a diamond mini saw, and now serves as the midrange enclosure. The bottleneck is left open and ventilates on the rear of the box. Essentially a ported design, but with the thought benefit of reduced back wave.

Why ported? It seems to me that the port reduces membrane movement with most kinds of music.

The inside of the bottle is lined with 10 mm open cell polyurethane foam glued to the wall, except for the neck area, and stuffed lightly with Acoustilux, not many modifications done here yet. The bottleneck is not modified but ends in a 6 cm open rear chamber lined with dampening - only because the bottle didn't quite make it to the end of the box. Tuning frequency 70 Hz.

Bass: Deltalite ii 2510 in an 80 litre ported box lined with 10 mm open cell polyurethane foam and some 15 volume percent Acoustilux. Port: 100 mm tube, 24 cm long. Tuned to 28 Hz.

Tweeter: DT-28N is cheap, it's a high efficiency, small faceplate tweeter with a very slight resonance peak- According to Monacor – didn't measure - suited for a 2. order high-pass at 2,2 kHz. No rear venting means only some superficial routing in the baffle to fit this one.

Crossover: 3 x 2. order (app. 400 and 2800 Hz)
Bass: 10mH and 47 or 62uF
midrange: high-pass 47uF and 3,9 mH. low-pass 0,68 mH in series with a 3,3 ohms resistor and then 4,7 uF so not strictly 2. order
Tweeter 3,3 uF and 0,8 mH – no attenuation
gives this response: (below) Preliminary single measurement from a room listening position 1/6 octave smoothing. Below 500 Hz a lot of early reflections.

Changes considered: Now I would place the mid in the very top, tweeter straight below and bass further 10 cm below- and port in front.
This box is not intended for a small room where it will need some equalisation of the lowest octaves.

Attachments

• unfinished.jpg
    unfinished.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 320
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 316
  • respons.png
    respons.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 309
great! somebody likes this

Hi Chris

15" may be. If it is the 15" Deltalite you consider, I believe it's around 100 dB. Then I might go for a lower cross-over and two 10F's for midrange. And the tweeter would have to be elevated to listening level. A large listening room... Could be cool...but I can't really advice you.

I like the sound, it's powerful. Actually What it does best, is it gives you a sense of physical presence. Anyway that's the contrast I felt when moving from a polite Scan-Speak 6½" two-way (with the smoothest frequency-response and an F3 at 31 Hz.) Weaknesses? I have experienced some harshness in female voices, but exploring it a bit further I belive it is the (awful) truth I am sometimes told. I would say you get a feel the interaction between the body and breath of the singer and the microphone.

Jacob

Looks good :)
The harshness might come from room reflections. Do the speakers stand near the side walls?
If so, look her for a posible solution:
DIY Diffusor | Baldin's Blog
/Baldin

...and get a divorce... Apart from that you are right: Measuring in the listening room gives you an idea of the importance of reflected sound and room resonances - can't be emphasised too much. A pair ½ ton German Physiks in a tiny room? Or some redecoration, a rug and some heavy curtains.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.