Intentional misalignment of vented enclosures: sacriledge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi John,
A warm welcome to the site here. I hope you find it interesting.

Thank you. I am sure I will.

Do you remember the "standard European living room that Philips used, along with the famous DIN 45500 limits for "HiFi"? What might you consider to be an average listening space these days?
To my embarrassment, no I don't remember that standard room. A typical room will depend on whether you are talking about urban or suburban situations. My current room is around 25' by 16' by 7.5', which is larger than the NRC listening room in Ottawa (in which I spent some time back in 1996) but around the same size as Michael Fremer's and Wes Phillips' rooms, though Wes has an 8' ceiling.

Now, you mentioned 1/6th octave measurements for a speaker systems response. I have to admit that todays methods are a practical mystery for me. Do you use an impulse test, or near-field mic for this?
Neither. I use a chirp, implemented in SMUG Software's FuzzMeasure. A very useful program, though it is Mac only. The computer calculates the impulse response from the chirp then uses FFT analysis to give you the frequency response. The impulse can be windowed to include as much or as little of the room as you wish.

I have an Audio Control SA-3050 I should dust off and play with I guess. I never did use it to measure response in a room as it always showed giant peaks and dips.
I still have my SA3050A but almost never use it these days. (There's now a great spectrum analyzer available for the iPhone and iPod Touch, BTW, from Studio Six Digital) For my published in-room measurements, I use spatial averaging in a 36" by 18" grid centered on the position of the listener's ear in his seat, which smooths out most of the peaks and dips, leaving a curve that does seem to correlate quite well with a speaker's perceived balance.

The book by Floyd Toole is one I don't have, and didn't even know existed to be honest with you.
You can find Kal Rubinsons review of Floyd's book, which is excellent, at Stereophile: Book Review: <I>Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms</I> . Everyone with a serious interest in loudspeakers should have this book in their library.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Neither. I use a chirp, implemented in SMUG Software's FuzzMeasure. A very useful program, though it is Mac only. The computer calculates the impulse response from the chirp then uses FFT analysis to give you the frequency response. The impulse can be windowed to include as much or as little of the room as you wish.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

+1 on FuzzMeasure!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My current room is around 25' by 16' by 7.5', ...but around the same size as Michael Fremer's and Wes Phillips' rooms, though Wes has an 8' ceiling.

That ceiling height has to be a drawback to getting really good sound.

SMUG Software's FuzzMeasure. A very useful program, though it is Mac only.

With all Macs around here not a hardship, althou i've finally just gotten a Leopard capable machine so i can run 3.x (i was one of the very 1st, if not 1st user (after Chris), of FuzzMeasure)

(There's now a great spectrum analyzer available for the iPhone and iPod Touch, BTW, from Studio Six Digital)

I've been holding off an an iPhone, but this software will push me to get an iPad when the arrive.

For my published in-room measurements, I use spatial averaging in a 36" by 18" grid centered on the position of the listener's ear in his seat

Can you tell us where the microphone locus are in that grid?

dave

Can you tell us where the microphone locus are in that grid?

9 positions: ear +/-9" vertically, repeated 18" on either side. Each speaker is measured individually to avoid combing and I weight the average slightly to the center with a 10th measurement.

Please understand that this is entirely empirical, but it works relatively well at combining the direct sound with the influence of the reverberant field, and reducing the effect of LF room modes.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Isn't L,R comb interference prominent in overall perception? Or psycho acoustics show some ear-brain smoothing integration effect with delayed power response in the far field, so its more representative you take each channel's matrix separately, and only mix 8/1 L+R centre point?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
9 positions: ear +/-9" vertically, repeated 18" on either side. Each speaker is measured individually to avoid combing and I weight the average slightly to the center with a 10th measurement.

Please understand that this is entirely empirical, but it works relatively well at combining the direct sound with the influence of the reverberant field, and reducing the effect of LF room modes.

Thanx. It may be empirical, but with all the times you have generated this metric, it has become somewhat a standard.

dave

I pointed out the bass bump in Stereophile's measurements back in 2005 on the Classic Speaker Pages and also noted that it was a measurement issue since measurements at the NRC did not agree:
AR-303 Comments and Observations - Acoustic Research - The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

I have always been clear in the magazine that this bump is due to the nearfield measurement technique, which assumes a 2pi acoustic environment. You can consider that nearfield and anechoic are the two extreme conditions; in all but very very large rooms, the actual bass performance will be somewhere between these two extremes.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Hi John thanks for responding,

I'm familiar with the near field measurement method and the differences associated with 2pi and 4pi environments. Yes, if a speaker is designed with baffle step compensation for in room listening and you measure it near field we should see the baffle step compensation curve with, roughly, a gradual rise from about 1K to plus 3 or 6 dB (depending on how much compensation was designed in) at 100 Hz and below. That is assuming worst case the actual difference depends on where you make the splice from near field with the gated measurement. But we don't see anything like this, rather the curves often look like a higher Q alignment with something more like peaking in the bass. I don't have a good answer for what is going on with that peak. Actually, you should not use any gating for the near field measurement, you can use a swept sine. Gating could be a source of error if you use it for the near field measurement.

Here is an old near field measurement that I made of the SPICA TC-50 woofer through the crossover using a swept sine. Note the rise from 1K down to about 100 Hz as would be expected for a system with very close to full baffle step compensation. Also note that since there is only a mild rise from 300 Hz down so that if the splice is made near 300 or below the baffle step compensation hardly shows up:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/MT5ANRFW.PNG

The curve has nearly text book agreement with the measured Fc and Qtc for the system:
T&S parameters: Fc = 69.5 Hz, Qtc = .79
It should be roughly 2 dB down at 69.5 Hz and it is very close considering that the woofer should be driven directly for full agreement and not through the crossover.

Last edited:
I won't jump in on the measurment argument, but I will say that after 20 years of designing subwoofers and speakers, that part of the design process is maxmizing output through the calculations. We can manipulate the performance of the driver through the cabinet. In my days of high end mobile audio, it took me months to re-train the sale staff from selling the most expensive woofer with crap amplifiers. We made some very nice sounding systems with cheapo woofers and quality amplification. Any good speaker designer can "force" the alignement (within limits) to get, or get close to the desired performance. The amplifier is extremely important for a sub, as with any speaker or speaker system. I spent many hours on my enclosures for the speakers in my two channel room. I used inexpensive 8" drivers and get decent response down to 38Hz. But this is after a lot of modeling, and not what the manufacturer supplied. I personally don't think there is anything wrong or unethical about a manufacturer tweaking a cabinet to push driver performance. As far as I am concerned, that's the fun part of loudspeaker design, seeing just how far you can push the gear without letting the smoke out....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When there is no ability for a given system in a given space to reach 20-30Hz flat, then an intentional bump restores some feeling of completeness? The same bump would feel lumpy if the full extension was there? Or its better to shoot for the flattest result always?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.