Visaton GF 200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The GF200 definitely looks like a good driver. The response graph indicates that it may be usable up to nearly 2kHz, and could work in a 2-way design. I had considered it for my own speakers, but due to the lack of 3rd party distortion measurements, I went with the Peerless 830884 instead. A distortion measurement should be able to show if the cone breakup propagates lower in frequency as harmonic distortion.

The impedance graph also indicates good motor design. Visaton uses this driver in a 2-way here.

Visaton GF200

They are not available in Portugal , no quality speakers available here... i have them shipped from BMM electronics in Holland . I´ll be using them as woofers in a 3 way configuration , for medium and high range i will use Epos ELS 3 making the necessary changes . If it doesn´t sound good(using the small epos woofer as midrange) i´ll have to find a suitable one.I Think it will , cause i think Epos drivers sound really good.For Sub woofer i have a JBL E250 P.
My first choice was the Visaton TIW200XS or TIW250XS but i need a 4 ohm speaker. I have enough bass already on my system , i prefer a good clean tight sound than having uncontrolled bass everywhere.

Re: Visaton GF200

lduarte1973 said:
They are not available in Portugal , no quality speakers available here...
That's not true, but the price is a problem sometimes. Look at shops named "Dimofel" in Lisbon and "Megaudio" in Massamá. From other places you can get Eminence, Beyma, Selenium to name just a few. Maybe you can save if you ask (your drivers) by mail and save on taxes. Compare the prices first.
The Monacor looks very good on paper with a Fs=20Hz and SPL (1W/1m) 91dB. Maybe it can put aside the JBL sub also.
SPH-250CTC
http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=5506

Re: Visaton GF200

lduarte1973 said:
They are not available in Portugal , no quality speakers available here... i have them shipped from BMM electronics in Holland . I´ll be using them as woofers in a 3 way configuration , for medium and high range i will use Epos ELS 3 making the necessary changes . If it doesn´t sound good(using the small epos woofer as midrange) i´ll have to find a suitable one.I Think it will , cause i think Epos drivers sound really good.For Sub woofer i have a JBL E250 P.
My first choice was the Visaton TIW200XS or TIW250XS but i need a 4 ohm speaker. I have enough bass already on my system , i prefer a good clean tight sound than having uncontrolled bass everywhere.

Super controlled low with the sph250ctc. I ordered also by BMM and had to wait 3 months before I saw them back. And shipping for your own costs.
3 monts is a very long time when you are waiting. :mad:
Water fall is this tight enough.

waterfvalmodd2.jpg

I had problems measuring the distortion because it is low.
80-500.jpg

26Hz.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Visaton GF200

Inductor said:

Was that in Christmas or January, Helmuth, or was it because of something else? (maybe there is another Helmuth/or the same address in another country?) Crazy.

I posted Email no answers after several mails a reply then it took very long still no reply called also then he said he would send it to Monacor. In the end it took 3 months. It was form September to January.
Good internet shops are connected to a organisation how guaranties good behaviour of the shop. This shop looks very professional from the outside. But it is not connected to internet shop quality label so they can do what they want.

Both ordered sph250CTC where defective one voice coil scraped the pool plate and the other voice coil was tikking it seemed to be loose. And I tested them with only a few watts.
The new drivers are O.K and perform exceptional.

Regards, Helmuth

Re: Re: Re: Re: Visaton GF200

Helmuth said:

Both ordered sph250CTC where defective one voice coil scraped the pool plate and the other voice coil was tikking it seemed to be loose... The new drivers are O.K and perform exceptional.

That is very good to know, Helmuth. Thanks. There is a lot of defective parts in the market. (Some factories/shops are not in business any more). And I guess they come to the market as new items, (in this case) a sample is never tested and/or their manufacture quality is poor. Sometimes it pays to have a shop around the corner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Visaton GF200

Inductor said:

That is very good to know, Helmuth. Thanks. There is a lot of defective parts in the market. (Some factories/shops are not in business any more). And I guess they come to the market as new items, (in this case) a sample is never tested and/or their manufacture quality is poor. Sometimes it pays to have a shop around the corner.
Precise Inductor,

The Monacor are assembled in Taiwan the materials are O.K only by poor quality control every thing can go wrong.

Till I used the Monacor I always had Visaton. I can say with visaton no quality problems a very good firm.

Regards, Helmuth

Question about this woofer -
if using one voice coil (4ohms)
Fs 34hz
qts 0.77
vas 62L
when I model it on winisd in a sealed 45 litre it gives some interesting results, a slight hump (+2db@ 60-80hz) and an F3 of a very respectable 38hz before dropping quite quickly. More importantly, the qtc is 1.18, and 40 litres is 1.22. Any issues with stuffing a high qtc/vas driver in a smaller enclosure?

Last edited:
a while ago i posted my 1st sub thread. I was trying to decide on a subwoofer and both visaton TIW200XS, 250XS and GF200 were on the choices amongst others. In WinISD the TIW drivers disappoint me a little so I looked at the GF200 due to the dual voicecoil providing Qts 'tuning'. Running a single voicecoil makes for an interesting sealed box speaker. Resistive adjustment of Q could be done with the other coil, which could improve the concept further. Nice looking driver and i trust the company quality.

Indeed Bill, the 2 ohm parallel impedance is what stopped me persuing isobaric designs, since 4 ohm is the lowest id be happy running with my amp. For others it may be less of an issue. I should really do the math for using a resistor on the 2nd coil. If i can lower Qts, even to 0.6 then that would make the driver a little easier to work with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.