Matching drivers...beyond the specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, here's the deal....

I'm soon to be attempting my first real build. :D The plan is to utilize old component drivers from my mobile audio days, to save on $$$. I have at my disposal 2 full sets of the Diamond Audio Hex6.6 components. Which gives me a grand total of 4 of these:
HEX6_6.jpg

and 4 of these tweeters that are still in production by LPG:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=138&products_id=541

Using these drivers I'm hoping to construct a complete LCR 3way set up for HT use. Yes,.... I said 3way, and yes that means I'm missing something to use as a mid. Which brings me to my question....

The midbass I will be using has construction very similar to the Eton HEXAcone drivers, (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_254&products_id=229). Although I can match senistivity and frequency response to other drivers (front runner being the dayton RS100-4). How concerned should I be with having the mid and woofer cones being of different construction material...? ...and to put it to rest quickly before it's suggested. I will not be considering the Eton4-200/A8. I'll be needing 6 of whatever I end up using, and at $124usd, :bigeyes: the Eton just throws my "first attempt" waaay beyond what I'd like to spend. :xeye:

I have read somewhere, (sorry I can't link...I've done a lot of reading lately), that drivers of like specs will sound different to the ear when constructed with different materials. Is this something that can be compensated with crossover design..? ...and even if it could, I'd imagine the R&D couldn't even begin to happen until I have them placed in a baffle along side each other...?

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what construction materials I should be focusing on, to match the driver I already have? Or better still...just tell me that it isn't something I have to be worried about...without lying to me that is...lol.

Thanks in advance...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
You may already have a plan in your head ; but off the top of mine - you already have the mid-range if you pick a tweeter with a lower XO point
buy decent woofers to make your 3-way, 8 or 10 inch should mate with those quite well especially if you go active.

or better yet buy some small plate amps and do active on the woofers and passive on the mid to high XO

Moondog55 said:
You may already have a plan in your head ; but off the top of mine - you already have the mid-range if you pick a tweeter with a lower XO point

aha... see I was looking at it the other way. I know the tweeter and like how it performs. I have the 6" that can get down to 80Hz if the design is right. What I though would work well, is a small mid for the gap in between.

Furthermore... in designing the center, which would be a horizontal WMTMW, (I know I didn't mention that earlier:rolleyes: ). I could tightly group the MTM with a small mid, or for that matter just vertically align a TM, and build a WTMW.

I do appreciate the reply though, and I'm certainly open to design suggestions. By chance, do you have an opinion in regards to cone construction, and if I need and/or should match material types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.