Desing oriented speaker with Manger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The attached image shows a "design" speaker. It has a Manger on the top and a GIA ( not available anymore) at the bottom. The
smaller in the middle is only for design symmetry purposes no speaker. Inside the 2,2 meters hexagonal columns is a Voigt tapered pipe - or almost. It is cut off at 85 Hz with 24dB.
The Manger crossover frequency is 170 Hz.
The cabinet was handcrafted at a joinery in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe,
from silver oak wood. ( And finally shipped from Cape Town).
An African artist did the engravings according to some traditional
patterns found in the ancient town of the Kings near Bulawayo.
The finish is Mombasa blue.
The system is active and has 3 power amps build in.

Dieter F

Attachments

• hexa1.jpg
    hexa1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 446
It is a photograph however of one column, background edited in color of the carpet. The third amp drives the Voigt pipe driver it is an 8 inch Dynaudio.
I thought the idea "why diy speakers" has so far missed the design considerations. You won't spent several thousand on drivers and crossover parts and 100 hours or more on work when you can make some thousand bucks in 100 hours and go and buy a speaker. For ex. JBL makes excellent mini monitors active with equalizer for less than 1000 so why diy a shelf speaker?
Or, a subwoofer? Just a waste of time and money.
Diy makes however sense if you'll get something that is not available anywhere. This one is certainly unique although the tonal qualities of the Manger which covers the significant spectrum of musical sound is not that convincing however the
spatial picturing of sound sources is excellent.

Dieter F.

Yes. According to my energy-time-domain calculation stuff the baffle diameter must be at least 80 cm to allow the Manger to sit
about 2/3 diameters off the baffle center. 80 cm diameter bamboo? Have not seen such. But I think such stuff should be available somewhere. I am however very poor in any kind of handcrafting. The design is about so:

Attachments

• manger1.jpg
    manger1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 205
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.