Reference 3A MM Decapo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The current Decapo Ref. 3A is a much better speaker than production from 10 years ago. The Totems are good speakers but not my cup tea. Take a look at the Sapphire from Audio Concepts. It is a similar type two way mounted speaker. I was involved in comparing the two speakers and the Sapphire was as good if not better than the Ref.3 for less money.

www.audioc.com/speakers1/sapphirexl/sapphirexl.htm

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thread is a bit old but thought I'd throw something in..

I guy stopped in today with Reference 3a mm decapo-i

I quickly grabbed an in room FR measurement(blue) of 3a at 1m, compared the relative response to my closed box monitor(red) that has a 84 db sensitivity rating..

3A is more sensitive with ragged response..

Listening impressions from me and the 3a owner: my monitor is far better in everyway, except sensitivity.. Better bass definition, better midrange and high frequency detail and accuracy(3a treble sounds like it rings), more imaging precision and better balanced overall..

what's the point of this? not certain, I guess it blows me away how well we can do and how so many commercial offering, are just average, at best..

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 154
A guy has a pair here in Calgary for sale at a decent price. I can't seem to get a DIY project finished and have nothing to listen to. So I was considering them. The Stereophile Magazine review was good at the subjective listening level but the objective frequency response curve was ridiculous. Troells Graveson has blogged about how bad the FR curves are on many commercial speakers yet these speakers for instance are well regarded and very 'musical'. The hump at 8-900 Hz is ridiculous and Troels or Zaph would design a notch filter to deal with it. Both men have prescribed such a notch filter for the ScanSpeak 8530 I am using in a DIY speaker using this illustrious driver known for great sound, low distortion but a bumpy response curve. The Reference 3A deCapo tries to get away running full range on the midwoofer that has as crazy a response curve as my 8530s. Seems stuffing a box with drivers and selling it is more about self confidence than true ability and engineering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.