First pictures of my mid-bass horn, painted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

today my first midbass horn got ready. It is painted with poliurethan PU, black satin , which leaves a raw surface.

mouth size is 38" / 96cm diameter, and thorat 4" /10cm.

Weight is approximately 130kg.

Fc is 145hz, and 125hz at half space.

I will use it between 150hz and 700hz, with Fane Studio 8M driver,
in my next hornspeaker system, full frontloaded, 4 way.

Angelo

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

more pictures at : Audio Voice Acoustics forum

angeloitacare said:
hi Steve

yes, these horns are made on a big wood lathe.

you can see more pictures at my blog

Youtube videos : Turning MDF Tractrix Horns

Thanks, those vids were interesting to watch. Wish I had a big lathe like that to play with, but on the other hand I'd probably end up hurting myself.

How are you matching the dispersion of the two horns at 700hz? Do the polar plots match up due to both horns having the same expansion profile?

dispertion matching

hello Steve

this is actually , something i am thinking about. One of the main criteria was to place all drivers vertically on axis, to avoid time delay. The mid-bass horn has tractrix expansion. The main goal for the midrange horn is to get the lowest possible coloration. But the coherence of the whole system is important as well. I would like to use a different shape than tractrix for the midrange horn. Maiby something in the middle, between oblate spheroid , and tractrix, with rounded edges, to avoid diffraction . A little bit of both worlds. A flare, that alouds to load down to 700hz, with a mouth size not bigger than 23". I don't know however, if that will create differences in the imaging. If i would use the midrange horn tractrix as well, than certainly there would be no mismatch between the two horns.

with Fane Studio 8M driver, full frontloaded, 4 way Looks like you have been cat-ed.

it seems there is sort of consensus that it is a good driver for mid-bass horn loading. It is a good starting point for me. I will in the future, however, certainly try out also other drivers.

Angelo

MDF dust

hi

yes, your are right. I bought respirators for my woodworker, and had a hard time to convince every time, i went to the factory, how important it is to use it. He uses it now. I should delete the first video, and post a new one, where he uses it, to avoid this concern of whom is assisting the video. might someone know how to delete videos on youtube. i have tried to find the function, but have not found it.

Angelo

not really midbass

Now, that is a really lovely horn.

The 150hz-600hz region isn't really midbass. It's more lower midrange, the lower trumpet range or lower voice. The 80hz-200hz range is more like midbass, the lower half of the cello range or the upper half of the bass guitar, kick drums etc. This region is very difficult to make a horn for, as you still want some midrange refinement but the horn gets VERY big. The lower bass (40hz-80hz) is easier in some ways because refinement is not so necessary. The LABhorn for example.

The 150hz-600hz region isn't really midbass. It's more lower midrange, the lower trumpet range or lower voice. The 80hz-200hz range is more like midbass, the lower half of the cello range or the upper half of the bass guitar, kick drums etc. This region is very difficult to make a horn for, as you still want some midrange refinement but the horn gets VERY big. The lower bass (40hz-80hz) is easier in some ways because refinement is not so necessary. The LABhorn for example.

hi NL

that's good input, to give the right definition to things.
i use a Aura 1808 below 50hz, and cover the 50hz - 150hz with a upper basshorn, picture below. Since its a snail, it has no folds, the sound is not compressed, and artificially " dry ", what most would define as fast and quick, but full , warm, soft, defined and controlled at the same time, with a good tonal balance.In my opinion the edgy folds of basshorns take off a lot of tone harmonics, which get lost along the way. That was my feeling when i had the Klipschorns. But what i enjoy most , is that the source of the bass cannot be detected as easy, as with a direct radiating woofer. The sound is emitted from a much larger area, from the horn mouth, and fills the room in a more even way. Probably not even a bass array is capable to do this with so good results.

Angelo

Imagem216-1.jpg

more pictures at my blog and forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.