Geddes on Distortion perception

As far as I am concerned that is not what Earl is saying. In the research he performed low order THD was not at all correlated to perceived sound quality and large amounts of low order THD could not be distinguished.

If any speakers are used within reasonable design limits, the distortion they put out should not exceed those thresholds. It is a bad speaker or one pushed far beyond it's intended use that would get there so of course power handling and SPL capability are important, nothing Earl says suggests otherwise, he even explicitly said it a few posts ago.

When you can hear a difference between two things and can see a difference in a measurement you have to be careful of assuming that the difference you heard came from the difference in that measurement.

Without proper blind perception testing it is quite easy to draw inaccurate conclusions.

Agreed, it's very easy to assign cause and effect incorrectly.

Question: my memory has the THD research being confined to CD/horns....so above let's say 1000Hz.
Is that memory correct? (I guess i should hunt for the paper:eek:)

Most of the literature i've read about harmonic distortion says it's audibility increases with decreasing frequency. And is greatest with subs.
This matches my experience.
I've found even excellent subs change their tune/tone as drive level increases, and a good FLH sub like Danley's Labhorn design sounds clean to the point like something is almost missing (due to a lack of harmonic distortion i guess).

So i'm led to believe, yes THD can be heard, at least at low frequencies with subs.
I haven't heard any THD comparisons at CD frequencies that seem audible.
just my 2c observations :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The midTweeter can be used by itself FR. The only limit is volume levels due to playing really loud.

Adding the HP to the FR used quite improves their dynamics and fidelity.

One can speculate all they want about the A12pw, they do not have the come area of a 15”, but they have performed to a level that has impressed all of the many who have listened to them.

In the TL they reach into the mid-20s in room.

dave

I don't really know what you guys are talking here, but 15" woofer has much lower THD than 6.5" at 250Hz or below, and I can clearly hear the difference.

6.5" has much higher 2nd and 3rd harmonics, so it sounds obviously more boomy when I match the frequency response of those 2 woofers...

or can that be just how different a 15" driver sounds to a 6.5" driver? even at low levels, where distortion is low for both drivers i presume, they will always sound very different. same applies to tweeters i guess, take any tweeter with a flat front plate, compare it to the same tweeter now mounted to a horn, they will sound very different, and i guess they will sound different because of their difference in power responses and intensity. like your garden hose, with one nozzle you get a fine mist and then change pattern to pressure jet an the difference is total

Well that’s I’m inferring. Earle is saying “distortion doesn’t matter”

Well of course it doesn’t matter when you’re already using large 10-15” woofers.

I don’t think he has any products with 3-4” drivers; which are the most popular in the marketplace.
If you are using small drivers (8” or less; in my book) then you I definitely need to pay attention to power handling, excursion and distortion.

Look at the context of my statement. I am talking to DIYers. This is not the place for pro audio designs, where nonlinearity can matter a lot if max SPL is desired, or for product designers who are trying to make the very smallest speaker that they can - obviously nonlinearity matters here as well. I am talking about high performance stereo and HT applications and in this context distortion can be easily designed to be insignificant.

I can always make a speaker where nonlinearity is a factor, but I choose to do them so that it is not.

Agreed, it's very easy to assign cause and effect incorrectly.

Question: my memory has the THD research being confined to CD/horns....so above let's say 1000Hz.
Is that memory correct? (I guess i should hunt for the paper:eek:)

Most of the literature i've read about harmonic distortion says it's audibility increases with decreasing frequency. And is greatest with subs.
This matches my experience.

Our study of nonlinearity was broadband and not limited to high frequencies. Actually it is highly likely that as frequency falls our perception of nonlinearity will fall as well. (I know of no literature of validity that claims what you say.) We are most acute to sound around 3 kHz so just below that is where we are most likely to be sensitive to these effects.