EnABL - Technical discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by Daygloworange - Post # 54
I also have an idea to test if there are indeed any measureable differences in EnABL'ng ports and baffle edges.

I haven't been following the technical details of what the EnABL patterns used in those instances are.

If those that are experimenting with this can provide me details of the patterns for ports and baffle edges, I can produce decals of various thicknesses of vinyl, and have them cut and pre masked, ready to be applied for RAW Acoustics to test as well.

Can anyone send me the EnABLE patterns for these?

I can accept PDF, AI, DWG, DXF as well as others.

Cheers

G'day Daygloworange,

I have been conducting experimentation and reporting back to the previous thread my subjective success with EnABL on baffles and ports.

I will be delighted to share what I know with you.

I'll email you.

Cheers,

Alex

Worth a look.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=265186

Clearly there is a frequency/viscosity dependent build up of liquid movement and enegry storage illustrated acting against gravity within the air (liquid) space above the cone in this clip -
The recorded sound is clearly non-sinusoidal.

Has anyone ever strobed rising smoke or falling evaporating frozen CO2 as it traverses a LS aperture at audio frequencies with sine/square energisation ?

Cheers ............. Graham.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Waterfals and such

dlr said:

The graphs to which I refer are the two used for demonstration, one being that of an "acousically perfect" driver, with any FR anomilies buried down 40db or more. These two were in no way "closely matched". Absent any other data, the second one is clearly the better. But you make my point, the whole problem with using a single CSD as definitive for being able to determine the sound of the driver is just plain not possible.

The link is

Driver comparison demonstration

DAve
I don't see anything perfect about thos plots.

I don't think any measured data will tell you precisely how anything will sound to each different person. But data can normally tell you whether you are getting closer to the original sound or not.

Hi John,

Nice visualisations.

However, what I was thinking about is where the radiating wavelength is shorter than the baffle/LS aperture, and what happens within and at the edge of the aperture prior to spatial launch; esp at frequencies relating to odd numbers of half wavelengths wrt aperture dimension.

Cheers ............ Graham.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Waterfals and such

soongsc said:

I don't see anything perfect about thos plots.

You'll note the quotes used, meaning the driver is certainly as close to "perfect" as you or anyone is likely to ever see. Show me any real driver anywhere close to that. You won't find it. The point was valid.

I don't think any measured data will tell you precisely how anything will sound to each different person. But data can normally tell you whether you are getting closer to the original sound or not.

The first line really is meaningless, of course it won't, that should go without saying. It's a straw man argument. All research conducted are attempts to show correlations based upon analysis of large data sets.

As for the second point, "data" used to make correlations in any reliable manner require, again, large data sets that in addition to large numbers of test subjects, involves a full set of measurements, on-axis, off-axis, distortion, large signal, small signal, etc. Then there are the room condition variables. All measurements and number of test subjects and test protocols made to date in this thread and the original have been totally inadequate for the purpose of making any reliable correlations.

Let's wait and see what is forthcoming.

Dave

john k... said:
Show and Tell?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I assume that each of those is for a single sine wave construction. The lines of constant pressure are interesting, especially how they vary, significantly, with distance. The effects of diffraction are quite evident. More interesting is the more constant nature of the lines of constant pressure from the flat panel radiator and how the areas of pressure intensity are higher for the flat panel. I wonder how much is related to little in the way of diffraction effects with a flat panel.

Dave

Graham Maynard said:
Hi John,

Nice visualisations.

However, what I was thinking about is where the radiating wavelength is shorter than the baffle/LS aperture, and what happens within and at the edge of the aperture prior to spatial launch; esp at frequencies relating to odd numbers of half wavelengths wrt aperture dimension.

Cheers ............ Graham.

The data is for 4k Hz. The speakers were, a Yamaha MSP-10 (upper) and W-3232 flat panel from WASEDA EE.

link to the pdf http://www.acoust.rise.waseda.ac.jp/publications/happyou/icassp/icassp-oikawa-2005march.pdf

soongsc said:

This seems to be structurally better than a thinner leading edge, which is why the whale would need such kind of shape.

A thin leading edge is only suitable for supersonic flight. This serrated leading edge would not fair well at supersonic speeds. As you see the application is directed at low speed flight and other low speed applications.

john k... said:

A thin leading edge is only suitable for supersonic flight. This serrated leading edge would not fair well at supersonic speeds. As you see the application is directed at low speed flight and other low speed applications.
Regardless where the application, the purpose of both leading edge profile are used to reduce drag.
As in audio, there are many aspects in determining what operating conditions a design is suitable for.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Waterfals and such

dlr said:

You'll note the quotes used, meaning the driver is certainly as close to "perfect" as you or anyone is likely to ever see. Show me any real driver anywhere close to that. You won't find it. The point was valid.

Let's wait and see what is forthcoming.

Dave
Tell us why those CSD data is more perfect than the ones I have posted, then we can discuss more data.

Edit:
A closer look at that post, it's not even a real driver.

Alex from Oz said:

G'day Daygloworange,

I have been conducting experimentation and reporting back to the previous thread my subjective success with EnABL on baffles and ports.

I will be delighted to share what I know with you.

I'll email you.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex,

In the interest of further attempting to scientifically measuring the reported effects of EnABL, I'd like to try and replicate your results (and/or others') and have them tested, to try and determine a correlation between what is subjectively reported and what is measured with speaker measuring equipment and techniques.

BudP and Dave from Planet 10 have agreed to be part of a controlled experiment with speaker drivers.

I've managed to enlist Al from RAW Acoustics to measure some off the shelf speaker drivers that both BudP and Dave from Planet 10 are then going to treat after the raw drivers are broken in and measured by RAW.

Both BudP and Dave will then independantly receive each, some of the broken in (and measured) drivers, treat them, then send back for post treatment measurements by RAW.

We then plan on having the (post EnABL treated) drivers sent to another facility for tests as well, to check for discontinuity between final (post EnABL) measurements.

I'd also like to see if we can measure any effects that have been reported about EnABL being successfully used to minimize diffraction on speaker cabinet edges, and effects on ports in speakers.

Based on what I have read, we can do this in a non destructive way with a decal type EnABL pattern.

If you can provide me dimensions of the patterns that yield the best results in both those instances (and the most effective applications), I can have them reproduced by having a colleague of mine cut the patterns.

We can have the patterns computer generated, and cut on a plotter out of adhesive backed vinyl material used in the graphics industry, which comes in various thicknesses. We can have those patterns weeded and pre-masked for easy application on baffle edges and speaker ports.

Just so there is no disconnect, I'd like clear instructions on how to replicate the most successful EnABL treatments on baffle edges and ports, and their correct application.

If someone has files drawn up, I can reproduce those. Short of that, if you can provide me with dimensions and measurements, I can draw them in CAD myself and then have the EnABL patterns cut and pre-masked, then sent to RAW for testing.

We will provide full details and documentation of how we will replicate the patterns, and how we conduct the tests.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'd like to keep all correspondances about this here in this thread, instead of private messages.

Cheers

Hi John,

Thanks again.

It appears that wave development is viewed ahead of the driver.

It might be interesting to view frequency induced pressure relationships much closer to the cone surface between edge and centre using this method.
Might reveal presence of surface modification induced changes, though the averaging process would limit display to steady state.

Cheers .............. Graham.

BudP said:
Either suits me, so long as the results can begin to be predicted, before the driver is designed.
Bud

Hi, anything consistentently predictable is fine by me too. /:)/sreten.

rjb said:

As I keep saying, Bud has never claimed anything but an improvement to a driver.

Hi,

I'd suggest an overview would indicate far more extravagant
claims than that stated above, those claims only backtracked
on when shown to be plainly wrong.

As I keep saying ;), I expect EnABLing to be shown to be a
very mundane subset of driver modification, and never shown
to exhibit the radical levels of improvement originally claimed.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:

Hi, anything consistentently predictable is fine by me too. /:)/sreten.

Hi,

I'd suggest an overview would indicate far more extravagant
claims than that stated above, those claims only backtracked
on when shown to be plainly wrong.

As I keep saying ;), I expect EnABLing to be shown to be a
very mundane subset of driver modification, and never shown
to exhibit the radical levels of improvement originally claimed.

:)/sreten.
It depends on the specific technical definition of "very mundane " and "radical levels of improvement".

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.