My 3 way changing upgrading plans...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to ask all the "brain-power" of this forum to comment on my future plan of my present 3 way active system.

my system is: dcx 2496 driven, 2x eton 8/472, 1x dynaudio d76af, 1x peerless wa10, WMTW, 18x25x12" CC, 24dB at 450 and 2250.

music: classical and everything else... speaker are also used as a monitor for my homerecording (mainly nearfield).

goal: neutrality...

OK, so, I brainstormed a little. Generally, I am fine with the overall sound of the system. I would prefer a better stereo imaging (however, if I am rather close for monitoring purposes it is alright (about 5 feet). Unfortunately, I can't change my room, and of course I am curious, whether it might be possible to improve something in the system.
The reason why I start rethinking everything is, that I crashed one of the etons while cleaning up, and that my room gets rearranged and I therefore need a smaller box. So now is the time for a change...
My design goals are primarily about keeping distortion and especially IMD as low as possible (for me, IMD is the worst contributor to "un-natural" sounding speakers), about constant off-axis response, and about whether a 19mm dome will be an improvement over the 25mm.

These are my two major ideas:

1.) I can buy an exchange for the eton and leave everything else. However, I would probably change the box design to WWMT. I should not have significant trouble with interferences between woofer and mid due to the 450Hz xover point. Additionally, I would minimize reflections from the two almost symmetrical woofer's.
1.1.) Besides that, I wonder, whether a new tweeter (and I am strongly considering the new peerless) will also help to improve things a little.
1.2.) Alternative: Contrary to 1.) I buy to new 10 inch woofers intead and sell the 3 or 4 eton. Yet, I wonder which would be the best woofer for my purpose (CC, -3dB 30Hz, active equalization) in this setting. I already had some recommendations... I remain unsure.

An argument in favor for 1.1.) is, that I am aware of someone working on a waveguide for both a 3'' (especially for the Dynaudio) and 1'' dome... I could potentially use this one day.

2.) I stick to the WMTW box design, and exchange both M and T with the morel mdm 55 and the hiquphon owII (xover 675/3300). This will result in better dispersion, and I hope the woofer-mid xover is without interferences due to the symmetric woofers. I friend is applying these speaker with success, however his room is optimized - something my all-in-one-room will not be with in the next years - and his layout is a bit different.
However, I have some problems with this design in my mind:
- symmetric woofers -> edge reflections double
- horizontal mid and tweeter placement -> don't know how drammatic these 4 inch will actually be
- enhanced IMD between 2250Hz and 3300Hz -> potentially audible when playing back strings
Advantages:
- better dispersion >8k
- matched pairs for both mid and tweeter
- at least one of the said to be best tweeters....;)

What do you think?

Thanks for any answer!

Best regards,
Leif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.