diy studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
A designer said about his own commercial active xo, that most speakers would benefit from his active xo, but with the exception of well tuned speakers with passive xo

You need to be some kind of a magician to make active xo work, with correct acoustical slopes

tinitus said:
You need to be some kind of a magician to make active xo work, with correct acoustical slopes

not really, I've been using a Rane AC23 for years now - very easy to use.

The biggest advantage to active XO in my mind is having one amp driving one speaker. No energy storage devices in between. That way the amp can really control the back emf of the driver.

I gave up on passive XO when I couldn't buy thick enough copper to get my inductors ESR low enough to achieve more than 20dB out-of-band attenuation. 1000 turns of 2 gauge copper??? not for me.

tinitus said:
Maybe this 8" AurumCantus with a BG NEO8 ... with Xmax of +/-8mm it might take some EQ at moderate levels :cool:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-420

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-712

Pardon me, but what kind of music are you recording ?

tinitus,

I hate to nitpick your suggestions. But could you be more careful when you recommend speaker drivers to people? Have you used these drivers for yourself or do you have a link to 3rd party (not manufacturer) measurement (preferably including distortion measurement) data to back up your suggestion?

I believe the AC and BG drivers are excellent drivers. But if I were you, I'd recommend well tested drivers. For example, for an 8" two-way, I'd definitely look at the Peerless 830884 HDS Exclusive Nomex and the HDS 810921 tweeter (or Seas 27TDFC/27TBFCG if I want to save some money). The midbass driver was tested by Zaph (tidbits page), and the tweeter by Zaph, Mark K, and Joe Rasmussen.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Jay, good response, sure ... but please, even if you recommend something YOU like dont mean others will like it too
But ofcourse, if you know it works, your back is safe and may care less if others like it or not
... different taste, different setup ... lots of different parameters may change the outcome
Even if I had made a good speaker with those driver doesnt mean that brsanko can make them work, or at least they may sound very different when used differently

But as you can see on brsankos response I may suggest whatever I want ... he will make his own choise ... I am pretty sure of that, or he would have finished a speaker by now :D

Actually fore close neafield I would suggest a design with ScSp 15W which I use myself ... Krutke(zaph) has one design and TroelsGravesen has several ... I havent heard any of them so I sure hope they are ok... I only know mine works
Allthough I think that a close nearfield monitor should be designed especially for this special use
:clown:

tinitus said:
even if you recommend something YOU like dont mean others will like it too

tinitus, please don't misunderstand what I said. I did not recommend something I like. I simply suggested that one should recommend drivers that are tested well with objective measurement data, unless he has personal experience with them. Otherwise, anyone can recommend anything that looks good simply by searching online catalog. That's my point.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Good point, and sure you are absolutely right ... but I dont see much differense one way or the other ... that way we could close half the forum and stop any devellopment
But I believe we should know by now its first and most a matter of HOW you use the drivers and secondly which drivers you choose ... I thought you would know that
How many do you think have burned their fingers on drivers like Dayton metalcone, just because their are said to be fantastic value
Still, I think there is a huge differense between suggesting and recommending ... and anyone can give his opinion and make constructive criticisme on any suggestions, which I had hoped fore instead of this ... we would all learn more from that

There are tons of design possibilities even if we limit our choice among well measured drivers. And one can always experiment with some not-well-known drivers for his own design instead of having others do so.

And HOw one uses certain drivers and WHich drivers he uses are not separate matters. If you use low distortion drivers, the speakers will have inherent limitations no matter how well you use them in a design. Also, for example, if you don't know in what ranges the drivers have low distortions, it won't be easy to design a suitable crossover.

-Jay

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Dayton metal cones are widely recommended ... how many are sold ... and how many do you think are used in proper designs ... and how many are used by people who dont know how to handle them, but bought them just because they are rated as great value

Sorry, but this is not helping brsanko ... over and out:dead:

btw .... again, ScSp 15W will have my direct recommendation, but ONLY if you know how to handle them
18W will have better powerhandling fore rockmusic, but I havent yet seen them in compact box size ... let alone heard it myself
But fore close nearfield ... how loud do you cranck up the volume :hot:

Dayton RS drivers are recommended and used, not because they are inexpensive, but because they produce excellent, low distortion sound when used properly. And how do you know that many people used the drivers in a wrong way? If so, it's because they are ill advised.

No, I think this discussion, though somewhat indirect, is relevant to the OP's concern. It may help him to make a right decision.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.