Wiki on bracing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rick57 said:
Is it mostly your point about energy available, but also that a greater amount of energy is needed to excite it?

I don't know if more of less energy is required to excite a higher frequency panel resonance, but, as Svante's graph clearly shows, as the frequency goes up there is a lot less enegy available to excite a panel resonance.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rick57 said:
My statements are drawn from the experience of others, mostly dave.

Keep in mind that my comments reflect my particular speaker building philosophy and that there are perfectly competent speaker builders who would never consider my approach.

With this in mind, you may end up having to have a couple parallel articles.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ron E said:

That looks like it is a good reference -- i'll comment more once i have a chance to properly read it -- a couple quick comments.

I see he experimentally validates the longitudanal brace, and that there is an indication that a brace should reach across to th eopposite panel.

With respect to Jim Moriyasu from AudioExpress (Feb. 2002) entitled, Panel Damping Studies: Reducing Loudspeaker Enclosure Vibrations, this has somewhat limited application as he made the classic error of placing the praces exactly in the middle of the panels. I chatted with him about this, and he said he didn't see himself getting around to exploring the subject further.

dave

Most of what you need for practical examples is probably here.

http://www.exdreamaudio.de/Boxen-Baumaterial/boxen-baumaterial.html

Thorsten posted a quick summery of what the page says for those (like me) who can't read German.

A brief summary:

1) 19mm MDF (7.5kg):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The upper response trace is the signal before inserting the test wall into a speaker (so the actual stimulus) the lower is the output after inserting the testwall. Observable is a main resonance around 170Hz which takes long to decay, as the "lossy" mechanism in MDF includes energy storage.

2) 18mm Plywood (6kg):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Same as above, we note that despite having less mass (which would suggest a high resonance) the resonance with plywood has shifted down to 150Hz suggetsing less stiffness, but more crucially, the decay of the resonance is much quicker and very rapid initially and thus suggest a loss mechnism without much energy storage.

3) 44mm coarse fibre board (a little coarser than MDF) 14kG:

The much thicker and heavier material isolates a little better and again due to the coarse and heterogenous structure decay is rapid.

4) For reference - 18mm plywood, 12mm sandfilling, 16mm plywood sandwich (18.5kg):

Only marginally better than cheap, generic thick woodfibre board for a lot of effort.

5) For reference - 20mm Marble (26kg):

Overall, as we can see, attenuation and suppression of the resonance somwhere between 100Hz and 300Hz (paradoxically the resonance seems to go up with added weight, but instead it is actually the increased stiffness from increasing the acthive thickness that does it and outweights the added weight) seems mainly related to weight and thickness (few surprises).

Equally though, going from 19mm MDF to 44mm coarse fibre board does not seem to bring much improvement.

The only real surprise is that Plywood (good grade) decays much quicker than more amorphous and homogenus materials, meaning despite a strong initial resonance peak when excited the audibility of this will be much less as (unlike MDF) Plywood seems to "drone on" much less long.

Okay, what if we apply simple re-inforcements (10cm 18mm board glued on plate edge on):

No material improvement.

How about bitumen Damping Mats (quite expensive in Car Audio Shops):

No material improvement. You need to go to the length the BBC did where they used equal thickness of Bitumen and Plywood to see real improvements.

What if we brace the plate against the opposite board like this?

This is a starting point BTW to the matrix bracing B&W use and which I also recommend.

Wow, now we are cooking with GAS! This is WAY better than 44mm of the same stuff!

What is the upshot?

At similar thickness all materials (except stone and metal - metal was not tested, I used this myself before) resonante in a similar fashion. Plywood will have a less audible and objectionable resonance due to it's lossy nature, if you use a really good grade, (building grade plywood is bad though - see figure 7).

Damping mats and the like improve little. Bracing to opposite walls majorly improves things. If you tie the bracing together in the center of the box so all walls connect together (matrix style) thing get even better.

So, use sensible thickness of Plywood (18 - 22mm) of good grade and brace the heck out of the box will result in the most economical solution.

"Exotic" enclosure materials such as stone and metal are vastly superior but usually not applicable in DIY.

Hope that gives some info for your wiki. Since it is from that website you had better contact them about permissions though.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Circles.

I've just looked through this thread and am amazed to find no mention of the seminal Stephens JAES paper. For maximum rigidity, you position your brace so as to minimise the diameter of circles that can be inscribed. That means that a rectangular panel should have a brace running centrally along the long dimension, rather than diagonally or across the width. It's why transmission line loudspeakers work well - their dividers inevitably end up in this orientation. To work well, a brace needs to be a panel going all the way to the opposite wall. To prevent it turning into a transmission line, it needs large holes in it. Now you know where B&W's "Matrix" idea comes from.

More time tonight....

rick57 said:
The goal of bracing is to push panel resonances higher.

Perhaps a semantic issue, but the goal of bracing is to reduce cabinet talk, the practical result is to increase resonant frequency and/or increase damping rate. This is perhaps more generally true of cabinet construction rather than simply bracing.

rick57 said:
Also damping materials attenuate higher frequencies better.

Good observation. Perhaps true both for acoustic and structural vibration.

Originally posted by rick57
As mass stores energy, the releases it with a time delay, a well braced single layer box is better than a non-braced two layer box.

I mostly agree with this, bracing is certainly more economical on material. I have never been of the thick wall camp.

Theory
From "Vibration Analysis for Electronic Equipment", by David S. Steinberg (p 267):

I'll look at this and the other resonance question later....

Spacing
· The largest panels resonate at the lowest frequencies, so they are the most important to divide up
· Linkwitz’ rule of thumb from years ago: no unbraced distances should be greater than 4" ie 100 mm.

Can't argue with that.

· GM for void free plywood suggests the points where bracing around the driver is required:
- for 5/8" ply: 0.75 ft^2 CSA (cross sectional area), ie equivalent to 10” ^2, ie 25 mm^2.
- For 3/4" ply: for 1.0 ft^2 ie 30 mm^2.

This doesn't make sense (perhaps you were too brief) and the dimensions in mm are incorrect conversions.

Shape
· the strongest (bracing) structure is a triangle . .

While it is true that trangles make stiff structures, make sure that you clarify that diagonal panel braces are ineffective. The advice for triangular bracing structures should be considered advice as to what the cutouts in braces should look like (i.e. trusses make very stiff, light structures). Square cutouts will "shear" easier.

Placement
· Bracing the short dimension creates a larger number of panels that are closer to square, with same or similar resonances. It’s better to run them along the long dimension of a panel.
· the middle is the worst place, as energy at divisor frequencies can feed panel resonances - the panel can actually be worse after bracing. To spread resonances, bracing should never be at equidistant intervals, eg instead 1 ft intervals - 11", 13" & 12" would be better.
· So that the 1st resonance is killed instead of enhanced - place them offset and/ or oblique ~ by at least X? degrees
· brace so that you move the dimensions away from each other
· endeavour to brace the driver magnets to the box.

I agree with most of this. Bracing magnets to the box, I am a little iffy on. Seems like a recipe for rattle/buzz.

Note that Weems in his ancient and deceptively simplistic books recommends a longitudinal rib just off center.

Materials
· plywood or hardwood, because they are stiff and not heavy (mass absorbing energy, then releasing it later).
· A good size is 3/4" x 1 1/2" ie 18 * 36 mm.
· mount edge-on, ie deeper side attached to the box.
· metal braces or steel rods are stiffer so even better

I think you mean 3/4" side attached to box, not "deeper side".

Metal braces I agree with, but steel rods as point braces are not likely to be effective.

Tips for attaching braces
· Butt joints with glue & screws is fine.
· Ideally each bracing sheet is connected to other bracing sheets(?)
· If the bracing also ties the box walls together, that is better
· Best - run rods all the way thru, and add compression to the panels (ie try to bend the walls into a dish shape).

Doubting that stressing the panels will have a beneficial effect. MDF and particle board especially and all materials to some extent will creep, or relax under stress. What was once tight, might end up loose and rattle. Whether rods are good or not depends on implementation.

Shape
www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=832740&highlight=#post832740
· holes in the braces - are to . . . ?
· Approx 30 - 60% is a good proportion of holes
· Shelf braces ( . . . . . ) are not effective because . .
· Instead, braces should divide the panels into long thin unequal, preferably trapezoidal sub-panels
Boxes for full-range or midrange-&-above : . . . .

Needs development.

And for subs (XO < 100 Hz):
At 100 Hz, as long as the biggest box dimension is < 1.7 m (5.6’), there is no benefit to bracing, as potential panel resonances will be above the panel size.

This confuses acoustic with panel resonances. Subwoofers are just as important to brace, but bracing only needs to put the resonances out of band.

~16 years ago, a friend made a 10 cubic foot box (I think it was golden ratio-my first box design) out of 3/4 ply with one shelf cutting it into two 5 cube boxes. That thing vibrated a LOT even though it was limited to below 80Hz. 2x PYLE 12" drivers. Sure was loud, and no rattles ;), except the furniture and the drywall, and the cupboards upstairs, etc.... ahh, the folly of youth. 120dB at 15 feet with a 80 watt onkyo receiver.....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Wiki on bracing

Ron E said:
rick57 said:
The goal of bracing is to push panel resonances higher.

Perhaps a semantic issue, but the goal of bracing is to reduce cabinet talk, the practical result is to increase resonant frequency and/or increase damping rate. This is perhaps more generally true of cabinet construction rather than simply bracing.

The goal for bracing is to push the panel resonant frequencies up where there is less energy to excite them, which helps achieve the desired result of less cabinet talk.

dave

Re: Re: Re: Wiki on bracing

planet10 said:
The goal for bracing is to push the panel resonant frequencies up where there is less energy to excite them, which helps achieve the desired result of less cabinet talk.

Perhaps a (where am I standing) deal, but the way I look at it you are focused on the brace when perhaps you should be focused on the cabinet.

What we want is a cabinet that doesn't talk.
Our options:
-Try different materials: heavy light, stiff, floppy,lossy, resonant....
-Use different shapes - e.g. sonotubes have inherent advantages/disadvantages
-Use braces and/or ribs
-composite panel construction methods.
-any or all of the above

My apologies, I fess up, I need a rap on the knuckles for my inability to comprehend the How to create & edit wiki pages www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=How+to+create+&amp;+edit+wiki+pages which is just now v 1 of the Wiki on bracing . . :smash:

if need be, I have the original text on my hard disc.

I plead for leniency in that I thought I’d jump in, thinking I’d hopefully do more good than harm.

Maybe there should be a point “creating a wiki from prepared text”, or how to create “new wiki pages for dummies” :xeye:

On the content, thanks for the further material, I haven’t time to look it at properly yet, but that Thorsten via Tenson material looks good, the sooner the wiki is going in the right place, the better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wiki on bracing

Ron E said:

Perhaps a (where am I standing) deal, but the way I look at it you are focused on the brace when perhaps you should be focused on the cabinet.

What we want is a cabinet that doesn't talk.
Our options:
-Try different materials: heavy light, stiff, floppy,lossy, resonant....
-Use different shapes - e.g. sonotubes have inherent advantages/disadvantages
-Use braces and/or ribs
-composite panel construction methods.
-any or all of the above

And perhaps to state the obvious, while there may very well be other ways to achieve the goal of a quiet cabinet, the purpose of this thread is bracing not cabinet construction.

a quick one

It’s good to put things in perspective, but my intention was this thread ~ wiki will just be on bracing.

It’d be good to later expand or perhaps more likely link it to include Ron E’s suggestion of cabinet construction, and CeramicMan’s suggestion of loudspeaker design techniques.

Also I agree with dave’s suggestion that there be different schools of thought stated.

I thought lets get one school or page completish first. How do I paste it into a new wiki? :confused:

Thanks
:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If it works like other wikis all you do is create a link to the new page on an existing page. The wiki auto creates an empty page which you then navigate to and edit.

I created it in about 30 seconds despite never having created a wiki page before. Computer tip: look at something already created and copy it. That's what I did.

Here it is: http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Cabinet+Bracing

It's linked off the Loudspeaker wiki page in the "Articles" section. I'll let rick57 add his own text.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.