Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

miniDSP Low cost, modular Digital Signal Processor (DSP) kits for the DIYer from miniDSP.

Old 19th April 2021, 09:29 AM   #1
IWC Doppel is offline IWC Doppel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Using the second input for L,R with Sub EQ

Hi I have a 7.3.0 set up and it is currently using a Mini DSP to time align and EQ my three subs,

As I have no way of crossing over the low frequencies that go to the mains I was thinking of simply using the second input from L or R (or both ?) to input 2

I can put a roll off on the input as my subs go up to 70Hz and my fronts go down to 30Hz, So I was thinking of adding everything below 35Hz to the Mini DSP and subs

So I was thinking of taking the analogue out from the processor and 'Y' cabling to both the power amp and the Mini DSP for L, R or both

My question is can I build a cable that mixed the L,R channels and shared the earth on the RCA without corrupting channel seperation or just use, L or R ?
Old 19th April 2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

sub frequencies are almost always mono is my 1st thought...

some questions to clarify:
so you have the mains unfiltered now? "large"?

which miniDSP are you using?
and in case it's the 2x4, which plugin?
Old 19th April 2021, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tks

Yes fronts are large I am using a modified Panasonic 9000 analogue out to naim AV2 then the output LFE gets connected to the Mini DSP HD input 1 this is then time aligned and EQ'd for the three subs

I have the rears/surround on small and centre on large. The subs are Perry flat across a 2m seating area and send great, I am thinking I might be missing some of the lower frequencies not sending some information to the subs. Panasonic won't / can't seem to tell me what frequencies are used when setting large / small

My Mini DSP HD is RCA in from the AV2, three RCA out to the subs
Old 19th April 2021, 02:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sub 'pack' measured across the seating area, L is left seat, R is right seat, red is centre seat, black average

this is the subs before filtering in the Mini DSP, at the moment as I am only FLE and rears I have not put a filter on so probably losing a bit around 70-120 Hz if the cover is that high, hopefully its 80 Hz. At the For the fronts if I am just adding these in parallel I will add an input filter
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 21.25.51.png (516.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by IWC Doppel; 19th April 2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:19 PM   #5
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

should work fine
you can use an advanced biquad PEQ on the input to LP filter the fronts signal
matrix mixer to send both inputs to the subs

btw: have you tried the simulation software multi sub optimiser? you should be able to really get great results with 3 subs and 2 fullrange fronts
Old 4th May 2021, 05:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ill have a look at that software I have head about it
  Reply to this post

Using the second input for L,R with Sub EQHide this!Advertise here!