Crackling noise with miniDSP after upgrading analog cables

I use a miniDSP 2x4 since some years back. Wanted to improve my cabling, until now I have had some really inexpensive cables with bad fitting RCA-connectors.

Bought some double screened (copper braid and foil) low capacitive coaxial cable, Canford SDV-M. Had some goldplated RCA-connectors from Switchcraft that I soldered on.

I was most surprised to hear a crackling noise from my speakers. Did not matter if I had the new cables on the in- or outputs, same crackling. Tried another cable that I had around, RG62 with some nice plugs. Same noise. Switching back to the crap cable and it was all gone. Having the crap cables attached only at the power amps results in hum. The better cables attached that way are silent. Removing the miniDSP from the setup and having the new cables directly from the preamp to the power amps works very well.

Why do I get this crackling noise with the "better" cables together with the miniDSP 2x4?

I have a similar problem. Wanted to get rid of my cheap analog cables with its bad fitting RCA connectors. I have some double shielded cables from Canford and some good quality Switchcraft RCA connectors. With these new cables there is a strange disturbing sound from the speakers with the miniDSP in the chain. Without the miniDSP directly from the pre- to power amp there is no disturbance at all.

The miniDSP might not like the cable capacitance. Something like that. Also, that particular cable is designed for digital audio, not especially for analog audio. Do you notice sound produced if you flex the cable? If you wiggle the RCA connectors? If only one cable is hooked up? In other words, it may be helpful to better understand what's going on if you try some things. Also, a scope might show the cable is making the miniDSP output opamp unstable, perhaps if the buildout resistor is too low value, or some other issue.

Doesn't have to be related to capacitance. Just one possibility to consider. Is there crackling in the absence of audio playback? Is there cracking with the miniDSP powered off? More information might be helpful. Some investigation with a scope might be good too...

What you get for fixing a problem that did not exist. :devilish:

Mark, No such thing as audio or digital cable. Electrons don't know the difference. Low C, 75 Ohm is exactly what you want for audio. And it just happens to be good up to about 500Meg or more.

Can't imagine the MiniDSP is sensitive. Suspect connection problem.

Maybe preamp output has some high frequency noise , and that noise easy reaches mini dsp inputs with good cable . But that don't explains why crackling is present also when connecting mini dsp output to amplifier with new cable . My idea would be try to make small RF filter at one end .Dissasemble jack ,desolder center wire , place a resistor in series like 100 ohms ,and while you hear that noise ,try to add capacitor lets say 100pf to shield/ground .
Also ... is there any difference if you connect just one channel only ,L or R , or both ? Try to use old cable for input ,new cable for output ? Or maybe simple overload ? How volume control affects that crackling - its present even in pauses between songs ,or only at loud moments of song ? And where is volume control - in power amplifier ,or in dsp ,or in preamp ?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
75 ohm cables are great for video not for audio! The mini DSP is having trouble driving the load as it is not made to drive those cables. Try any other non video RCA cable and see what happens.
Nonsense. Digital audio cables are just fine for audio usage. The characteristic impedance is very similar for both and for audio usage it doesn't matter anyway.
And, for typical usage, interconnect cables won't have sufficient capacitance to cause any sort of low-pass filtering within the audio band.

Dave.

Most of the time 75-ohm coax works okay with audio. Sometimes RF coax cables can be kind of stiff, and the stiffness could cause problems with staying in place. Might also put some strain on low cost audio connectors such as some RCAs. In this case it appears the the miniDSP doesn't like those particular cables. Would be nice to understand better whatever it is that's going on.

Funny, I guess being a broadcast and post production engineer for 30 years has taught me nothing. We use digital cables for digital signals and analog cables for analog signals. They are made differently for a reason. You can use them but why would they make different kinds if it didn’t matter? Hint, it matters.

Same here in terms of cable choice, but in most cases using digital cables for audio won't cause crackle. Some cables can be worse that others for generating triboelectric noise, not that I particularly would suspect that in this case. Flexing the cables might generate some noise if it were a problem. There can be other considerations too, but mostly they are more subtle than what is reported here.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Funny, I guess being a broadcast and post production engineer for 30 years has taught me nothing. We use digital cables for digital signals and analog cables for analog signals. They are made differently for a reason. You can use them but why would they make different kinds if it didn’t matter? Hint, it matters.
I didn't say it didn't matter. I said digital audio cables are fine for audio usage. And, they are.
Gosh, strawman arguments are pathetic.

Dave.

Theoretically any shielded cable have two wires, signal and ground ( shield) , have some capacitance , has some resistance , and some shielding from various noises . Those "75" ohm or 50 ohm are actual only on very high frequency, where resistances must match, signal is transferred in different way than low frequency or dc . Actually i'm using vga rgb cable (like used for svga monitors ,old projectors) for audio from pc to amplifier ,and didn't notice any problems . Lower capacity looks attractive and double shielding also .
Something oscillating or working wrong with that new cable . 75ohm cable doesn't load preamplifier with 75ohm dc load , cable has no resistor inside ... For audio frequencies maybe shielding can be from wrong material , not effective at mains frequency ,but then we woukd hear a hum .

In this case it appears the the miniDSP doesn't like those particular cables.
Would be nice to understand better whatever it is that's going on.
But you've already jumped a gun above.
Cable is always some kind of transmission line (uniform characteristic impedance or not) which can sometimes have some effect at higher frequencies within the audio band.
Why should anyone care if it's not audible?