9ms time delay not enough

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A 16Hz Le Cleach bass horn :)

A good question, answer, and retort!

As a Klipschorn bass owner, I wonder about this too.

Esp. with the Klipsch being in a corner and the sound coming from two mouths at different distances from the listener! And from both of the other mids!! which makes 6 possible distances needing 6 different time corrections, eh.

The correction isn't about wave-length per se but about the physical construction of the horn. A straight horn, rare for bass, is a straight-forward analysis. But what about a folded horn, as most are?

The alignment ultimately is about getting phase right. Phase is a matter of wave-length and varies with frequency. It is conceivable you could be, say, 360-degrees off and that would be a reasonable alignment. But the correction would be right only for one frequency. Of course, for subs, they generally handle only one octave, so that helps.

Also helping is the fact that 20 Hz is about 50 feet long. So you could improve the alignment from 10 feet (fully out of phase at 20 Hz) to 3, feet and consider that an improvement.

Having pondered all of this, I am not sure bass alignment is all too important... and I do favour sharp rumble filters to limit cones flopping around and needlessly producing Doppler distortion.
Ben

Last edited:
Shouldn't two miniDSP 2x4 boards wired digitally in series provide double the time delay for the mids/tweets and still have enough outputs for a stereo tri-amped system? Shouldn't remaining digital (in series) avoid signal degradation?

Are there good reasons to avoid say a miniDSP 2x4 in series with a miniDSP 2x8, should those be the units you have sitting around?

BTW, I aligned speakers by playing a sine wave at the nominal crossover frequency and adjusting for peak loudness at the listening position. You could also readily adjust for tweeter beaming with the same setup, albeit at 10kHz.

Ben

BTW, I aligned speakers by playing a sine wave at the nominal crossover frequency and adjusting for peak loudness at the listening position. You could also readily adjust for tweeter beaming with the same setup, albeit at 10kHz.

Ben

As long as the peak isn't being added to by room reflections this would indeed work fine. It is similar to aligning a 3 crt projector. The blue is the most difficult to setup as you can't clearly see blue (front or rear screen projection) to focus properly, especially so if you are by yourself. What works is adjusting the blue focus for max brightness. When done this way it is properly focused. ;)

Dear All,

Sorry for the delay. Note that an alternative if you really want very long delay is to use an OpenDRC-AN. On the Sharc module + external DDR we can do very long delays. (up to 3s). Hoping 100meters is enough for your time alignment. :)

Devteam

I have to use over 10 year old Bose lifestyle system at party next Saturday. I tested it and crossover point sounded weird, didn't match at all. I measured and discovered the Bose adds a whopping 44 ms to the signal, no matter if you use digital input or analog aux in etc. I am trying to match it with an other speaker that is connected to a traditional amplifier with no delays. Minidsp can only compensate 9 ms of the 44.

Funny thing is, that there is a menu in Bose that you can add even more delay, like this would not be enough. Naturally I used the '0' setting and at maximum, '8' its like 250ms more. Retarded Bose engineers... :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.