DIY GBA Backlight. GBA = Game Boy Advance. A project I'm Working on. Any ideals?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello members here. I brought a GBA and like most who brought the old model it dose not have an internal light source. I have heard of some mod that you can get called an Afterburner Kit which is an internal light kit.

The Afterburner Kit though is discontinued and most sites online are out of stock. Some want crazy prices for it also. I even heard bad news about kit making screen bleed or problems with getting air bubbles on the LCD. Also the light dosen't spread evenly!

I was wondering is there a way to make your own internal kit some way? I've researched the internet and found some ideals but would like your help. First I need to know what kind of clear material that spreads ligt evenly? Could it be a EL sheet???

The GBA has a Reflective TFT screen so the light source has to be spreaded around the LCD or above it to reflect light. Though I need a light source small enough to put inside a GBA.

What I really want to know is how can I make my own kit and waht would work best?

It's near impossible, I did a LOT of research into it when the Afterburner kit was being made.

The plastic is a "light guide" . It's a piece of plastic with angled grooves cut into it. Then the light shines into the side of it and the grooves refract the light down onto the Lcd.

The grooves have to be cut at the precise angle depending on the amount of light being used and the size of the plastic.

And the companies that make the light guide require a minimum order of around 10,000 and a deposit just to do the research necessary to make the prototype.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.