new member intro

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to the forum members. Thinking of myself, I do see myself as true engineer. Willingness to analyse how things work, what is the core value they are delivering to a user, how to measure it, what are the trade-offs has always haunted me. Later on, I realised that the area I’m originating from (Urals) is highly industrial, and is full of such people. Finally, my father is an engineer too. We both got engineering degrees. Although, this education was not related to electronics or audio, it gave me a lot on what engineering approach is. Specifically, how the knowledge is acquired and accumulated by humanity: research papers, books, what is an experiment, how to define and setup it, measurements: units and methodologies, statistical processing of results, etc. All these skills and knowledge can be applied to any engineering area and is crucial to a success.

I’m already 18 years in professional software development and it is my main source of income. Recently, 2 years back I decided to explore the audio design. Mostly I was looking for a ways to improve the specs of the devices designed two-three decades ago. Firstly, I read "Art of electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. That gave a me a great electronics background. Then, I’ve made several research projects and bought some equipment. One of the projects was a high spec tape recorder reproduce amplifier, which I decided to freeze for some time.

Last thing I designed is a precise, low noise MM phono preamp I named after my first daughter Maria, who inspired me. The goal was to get maximum out of RIAA curve tolerance, noise level, while keeping it affordable. Then, I've made several copies for my family and friends and it turned out that they liked the sound while I like the process. Why not to let such a hobby to grow? So I’m currently offering Maria to build on request and aiming to make as much as possible listeners happy!

In the meantime I’m designing a USB DAC, again with good characteristics, based on STM32 and Rust code base.

A father of 4, based in Czech Republic. Nice to meet you!

Alexander.