Another newbie -

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi - I am new to the forum but not to DIY - Now embarking on Bottlehead Stereomour SET project and looking into building some FR single driver project.

I really like the look of the Metronome - thinking of using Fostex 8" or maybe Audio Nirvana.

Any opinions, plans, ideas would be appreciate. I know there are existing threads on the Metronomes so will check those first. Would also love all those opinions on which full range driver is preferred, so bring em on.

drew.

Drew,

My Stereomour shipped yesterday. I'm planning on using it on Lowther DX3s in the Medallion horns that I already own. Currently using a class D and the DX3s sound very good. I am using a mini DSP to tame the 7 - 9 kHz range as they are peaky there.

I also own 2 sets of Audio Nirvana's that I built. The 10" Cast Frame Super AN in the 2.8 BR Ambience enclosure is what I was listening to before the Lowthers.

I really like the ANs. They were my first full range driver. I'd never heard clarity like that before. A very good deal for the money. The Lowthers are considerably better, but that's why they are considerably more expensive.

It comes down to money and size, among other things. The Medallions are quite a bit bigger and cost quite a bit more.

We'll see how much better the Stereomour does over the class D (Virtue Audio) amps that I'm using now.

Hey Allen - That's great - good luck with your Stereomour. I finished mine this past weekend and have been listening to it alot. It sounds really great and has plenty of volume with my GMA speakers. I had a bad driver tube so at first I struggled at first and didn't have much bass. I rolled in a JJ Gold pin and that fixed everything. I am also changing out the xover's in my GMA's to some new/improved specs. I just bought a pair of Telefunken NOS, supposed to be really good, so I'll let you know. Didn't need a pair but it was a good deal on a matched set. I figured I can just sell the other one or keep it for a spare. You will enjoy building and then using the Stereomour. I am becoming a tube convert!

Hey Allen - That's great - good luck with your Stereomour. I finished mine this past weekend and have been listening to it alot. It sounds really great and has plenty of volume with my GMA speakers. I had a bad driver tube so at first I struggled at first and didn't have much bass. I rolled in a JJ Gold pin and that fixed everything. I am also changing out the xover's in my GMA's to some new/improved specs. I just bought a pair of Telefunken NOS, supposed to be really good, so I'll let you know. Didn't need a pair but it was a good deal on a matched set. I figured I can just sell the other one or keep it for a spare. You will enjoy building and then using the Stereomour. I am becoming a tube convert!

Thanks Drew.

I'm thinking I will be able to work on it next weekend. I am a novice with the soldering iron so it could take me a while to build it.

I may hit you up with some questions if that's ok? This is my first build.

Sure - and get on the BH forum. Everyone there is helpful and you will get responses very quickly to any questions you might have.

Get a decent soldering station with a couple of tips and temperature control. I also bought two guages of solder. I needed the small gauge for the circuit boards and the large gauge for the wiring, that was really helpful. I did a lot of practice before starting on my kit.

I look forward to hearing how it goes!

drew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.