Please allow me to introduce myself - Sympathy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all!
I've been involved in audio since it was "cool".
I used to own a car stereo sales/installation company (Safe & Sound Auto Electronics) in the Boston area back between 1985 and 1998.
Besides being an electronics hobbiest since I was old enough to take stuff apart I'm also active in the sports car and rally racing scene in the northeast.
I drive the pace car for the New England region of the Sports Car Club of America and am a stage captain for various performance road rally races.
I'm an extra class ham radio operator (hence the w1jim) which means I can have a propensity to talk too much.

Currently I collect and restore primarily vintage (70's) gear - mostly receivers. I have about 2 dozen receivers and 6+ systems set up around the house. Think beasts like the Pioneer SX-1980/SX-1250/SX-1010/SX-D7000, Kenwood KR-9600/KR-11000G/Model 9G and Sansui G-22000/G9000/9090DB - and a bunch more from all the majors from the seventies.
My record collection is around 2500 pieces - and I have a patient spouse as well.

I'm living the good life, I am!

Attachments

• P2181206.jpg
    P2181206.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,
Yeah, who would have thought Bose would be such a boon to the collector community.. :D Worked there for a long time.. I did learn a lot about engineering method if nothing else, had some fun here and there. (I was in R&D)

They thought I was a bit of crackpot, but humored me for a long time. I've attached two pictures so you can see how right they were.. :p

Attachments

• DSCN0115R.JPG
    DSCN0115R.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0117R.JPG
    DSCN0117R.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 70
Yep - you've got it bad (too).
I've been trying to avoid what I see as the road to OCD suicide that I call "tubes".
Almost everything here is sold state except my 800 watt mono amp that runs 4-811a tubes (oh, that's for my ham radio).
I do have a Grant Fidelity DAC with a single tube in it that I run my Sony HD radio through though.

Other then that it's all solid state (and occasionally gaseous, like smoke).

You ought to check out our get together next weekend in Clinton - take a look in "events".

Howdy! Just acquired a monster PIONEER SX-D7000. Found (online) a user manual, but I'm desperate for a Service Manual/Schematic as the power amp section is dead and I've found (by the shotgun method) at least two big power transistors, two medium-sized driver transistors, and other stuff all shorted, open or otherwise dead! (Also found an open 1-amp fuse: the middle one on the fuseholder board that's mounted on the big heatsink assembly.) Some of you apparently actually have the manual - any chance of an EMail or the loan of a paper copy that I can copy and return? (I have a big, fast copier - if you loan me a manual, I'll make an extra copy for you and return your original plus a good copy!) Thanks! Shepard Golub , Rangeley, Maine (n458md@yahoo.com)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.