The Eternal Pursuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I'd run across this forum several months ago when I was researching some Carver gear that I have. I found it very informative, with a great collage of people that share their experiences.

I'd been out of the audio game for probably seven years, and have to admit it's not as if I was exactly knowledgeable at that time. I picked up some gear at the end of last year, nothing spectacular, but enough to get me back in the saddle. I'd owned some Carver gear previously, so I picked up a m1.0t amplifier and a CT-17 preamp. Added a Yamaha CDX-930, and a set of L100s. (the later models with 123A-3 woofers) It's a start, and I'm now beginning to get the itch to start upgrading things.

I bought a crossover kit that Troels Gravesen designed from Jantzen Audio, which was a pile of coils, caps and resistors. (no association with Gravesen or Jantzen, btw) I'd never actually built anything before, and enjoyed the experience. I've always been something of a dyi person, be it automotive, computers or anything else. The crossover made a significant improvement on the L100s, although considering the caps in the original crossovers were probably 30 years old that's hardly surprising.

I wanted to buy a sub, found a ten year old Velodyne HGS-10 that had never been used. Had it shipped to me, where in the process the magnet became dislodged as the glue didn't hold. It took a while to get that aligned, although after reading a bit I see where people use batteries to check the alignment. I'm going to pull the driver and check to see if my repair completely eliminated any voice coil interference. It performs well, but I just want to see if I got it right.

Anyhow, I decided to get into some HT, which isn't exactly easy on a two channel based system. Bass management on a CT-17 just doesn't lend to having a sub. I found a Parasound AVC-1800 which is what I'm using now. Apparently these units are known for some sort of a 'clicking' noise when setting the processor between DD and DTS. I have yet to hear anything like that, although mine was at the end of the run before they were discontinued, it might have been eliminated by then.

I'm now beginning to listen more critically, which isn't something that I believe I was able to do before. Getting that 'ear' so to speak, is a matter of becoming accustomed to the equipment and what it should be doing. I find something lacking in the definition I hear. The high frequencies just aren't quite as clear as they should be. The seem constrained, veiled. I know there's a number of suspect components, such as the CD player I use. I am only using it as a transport right now and using the processor in the Parasound preamp. That's not the issue. The CT-17 presented a similar sound, too. I bypass the tone controls, too.

I have a backup amp, a Yamaha DSP-A1000 that I'll hook up and see if that resolves the issue. The m1.0t is old, about twenty years. That could very well need caps and/or whatever else could be found at that point.

Then again, it could just be the simple fact that L100s have their limitations, too.
I've got to check the tweeters. I'm thinking of replacing the wiring in the cabinet for all the drivers too. I know I used some suspect wire for the tweeters when I installed the new crossovers.

Anyhow, I've been reading a electronics manual, and am starting at the ground floor on this. I intend to buy an oscilloscope, variac, and some other items to make this more of a hands on hobby rather than just buying stuff. I bought a broken m1.5t amplifier that I intend to repair, although only after I feel I've got the proper knowledge. I've got the service manual, and have been researching for a while, but the actual project is down the road. I'm in no hurry, and also am finding there's some other great equipment out there. I like Carver because it's relatively well built, but I'm seeing SAE and Soundcraftsmen, plus Parasound amps look intriguing.

Alright, I've bantered enough.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

John

Thanks for the welcome, Thomas and Cal!

I've been looking over the sites you suggested, Thomas, and the digi-Lampizator has me intrigued. It's fairly simple overall, and looks like it could provide a lifeline for my Yamaha CDX-930. Finding a datasheet on the MN6471M DAC isn't exactly easy. I found a datasheet on the MN6471, but obviously there is a difference otherwise there wouldn't be another model number. I found that datasheet on a Polish audio site that referenced a Russian site that had it.

Interesting reading. Thanks for the links!

John

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi John - I haven't looked at Lukasz's DAC in several months and thus don't know which IC's are in play these days - been busy playing with speakers and letting the DAC world sort itself out a bit before I dive in. I'm spending a lot of time looking at HTPC and some of the sound cards that are coming out will use HDMI 1.3a interface and that has my interest for HT - which is where the spousal unit likes to spend time on - sooooo - HT (which I also enjoy very much) has priority (unless I want to do the laundry). ;)

Lukasz is a friendly chap - drop him a PM and he might look into updating things or offering suggestions for other IC's. :angel:

Ehlo Thomas.

I think my system is in too much of a state of flux right now to go diving into something along the lines of some of Lukasz's projects right now. Over the last two weeks, along with a set of speakers that I should be getting tomorrow, I'll have changed every component I use.

I just bought an Oppo 980H, but kinda wish I'd gone with the 981HD after seeing the threads on modifying it here, as the 980H isn't quite as mod friendly. Eh, they're inexpensive, so that's not really an issue.

I've been reading plenty over the last several days, and it seems for as much as I know, the more I realize just how little in the big picture I truly understand. That's what makes it interesting, though.

I've dug into the HT thing a bit as well, having added a center and subwoofer, and fired up my five channel amp. I'll need more power than that amp can do, though, and figure I'll get to play with a number of various amplifiers in the process.

This is definitely a great hobby!

John

Joined 2006
Paid Member
devzero said:
Ehlo Thomas.

I've been reading plenty over the last several days, and it seems for as much as I know, the more I realize just how little in the big picture I truly understand. That's what makes it interesting, though.

This is definitely a great hobby! John

I'm pretty much at the point where I have discovered that I don't know anything that really matters!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that there are many here that will agree with that too! :D

Still - I'm having a ball while I regress in my knowledge and learning! ;)

c2cthomas said:

I'm pretty much at the point where I have discovered that I don't know anything that really matters!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that there are many here that will agree with that too! :D

Still - I'm having a ball while I regress in my knowledge and learning! ;)

c2,
You may not want to believe this, but I got to the point where I knew everything! Having achieved that, my life was going along pretty good for me until.....Gasp.... I turned eighteen:bawling:

Since that horrible day, I've had to relearn everything, although I'm still far from where I'd like to be.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi TerryO
In my younger years (when I was 18) I served a six year tour in the US Navy and serviced electronics equipment that was kept behind locked doors. When I first started I would often ask about what was behind "door #2" - only to be told that I didn't "have a need to know". As I worked my way up thru the ranks I became senior enough to be supervising people and equipments and I was the "old salt" that was telling the young troops that they didn't have a "need to know". The strange thing about it all was that after I knew what I knew I was told to forget about it - never talk about it - and that I was never there. To this day when things go awry the first thing you will hear me say is "I wasn't there, I didn't do it, and I don't know nutten"

Now going into my "golden years" I can pretty much state that "I don't remember nutten" and mean it. However, I do have a spousal unit that is very capable of remembering everything I have ever said - when I said it - and what I was wearing at the time.

Below is a photo of me (with one of my little "toys") circa '68. The other "toy" is that 3D radar on top of the mast - which was great fun to go up and work on.

Attachments

• tj with missile 1968.gif
    tj with missile 1968.gif
    66.8 KB · Views: 121
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.