Pricing Help Needed (please)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,
I could use some input from you guys. I have been asked to build a few amp conversions in tolex covered head cabinets. I need some opinions from other players about how much these would be worth to players to decide if it's worth doing. How much should I charge for these amps?
Thanks Guys for any input you can share.

Info on the amps is:

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
Custom tube guitar amp. - YouTube

This amp was designed and constructed using the basic foundation of a 1960s (Akai M8) Roberts 770X tube reel to reel tape recorder. The amplifier circuitry has been optimized to specifically serve as a guitar amp rather than as hi-fi equipment. Where practical the original vintage components, including the tubes, have been kept.

There are 2 instruments inputs which share the common volume and tone controls. The 2 inputs however employ separate, and different, input stage tubes and therefore sound very different. The first input uses an EF86 (6267) tube. These tubes were used in 1960s vintage VOX amps, and are still used in some Dr. Z, Matchless, and other boutique amplifiers. The 2nd input uses a 12AX7 (12AD7) tube. 12AX7s are the most common preamp tubes used in guitar amplifiers such as Fender, Mesa Boogie, and Marshall. All of the tubes are the original vintage 1960s tubes. This amp is very quiet (background noise and hum) and breaks up nicely at reasonable volume levels.

The tone circuit uses a modified passive Baxandall/James circuit (Bass and Treble controls) similar to the type of tone stacks used in the original Ampeg, Orange, and some Dr. Z amps. Additionally, a boost switch increases the gain and frequency response of the amp providing additional tonal flexibility.

The output stage is a single-ended class A power amp. This amp uses an EL84 (6BQ5). Single-ended class A amps were used in many lower power 1950s-60s Fender Tweed and Blackface amps and in Vox's AC-4, which also used the EL84 tube. The amp uses a 6X4 tube rectifier. This amp works great for rehearsal, small venue use, and especially studio recording.[/font]

Dropbox - Error ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Joined 2011
First realistically calculate your total cost in parts and your labor. Then when you decide on the commercial value
of the finished unit, if your cost is more, don't build it. If your cost is less, decide on a selling price
and build a first unit for a patient and understanding customer, to see if things work out as you expected.
Generally you would double your materials cost when reselling them. Don't forget to amortize the shipping charges. Keep the transaction in writing, clearly stated so there is no misunderstanding possible.

I would suggest $100/hour labor, don't forget there is self employment tax and a requirement to file tax returns.
Unless you are experienced with accounting, hire a CPA to handle your taxes. You won't ever regret it.
Also require at least 50% payment in advance, preferably 100%, no refunds. If they're serious, it's not a problem.
That way you work on their money, not yours.

Never put yourself in a position to lose money, including the value of your time. No one will ever appreciate that.
In fact, customers will better appreciate you if you charge more, rather than less, than the competition.
You simply cannot compete based on price, and don't even try. If a potential customer thinks the price is too high,
then he is not your customer. Don't make any excuses, often they will return after a bad experience elsewhere.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
They weren't a good customer, the ad says it all, cheap. We are better than that.
If you have to go around scraping for work at any price, there is a bigger problem than the work.
There are 330 million people in the US, and you don't want the cheapskates for customers.
If you can't find enough good customers, you're in the wrong line of work.

Last edited:
What they said. Round here abouts you also need to add in public and professional liability insurance. Plus you need to pay for your tools and your rent.

Even if you're going to cut a deal, make it a discount to your published rate. And point it out.

E.g. My lawyer sends me invoices which say "x hours at y $/hr, total is $x*y. But say $z" (where $z << $x * y). It's oldfashioned and quaint language but it underlines that he's doing me a favour. I appreciate it every time.

Do your job properly and be civil and up-front; build your reputation. That's what will cause work to come your way.

I always appreciate it

Its very hard to compete in audio these days.
Just too many other people doing it at cut throat prices.
I have looked into it in the past and found people selling stuff for less than I can buy in the components ! I have the advantage that time costs me nothing but I still cant compete.

If you want to make money make something rare or unique where there isnt the competition.

Thanks JMFahey. You're right, not starting a business just building mainly for friends and friends of friends. I currently have a dozen (6 tape decks) and have already built and delivered 10 amps. I'll continue as long as someone wants one and a unit is available for a reasonable price. Thanks again.
S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.