Newly built amp hums n hisses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I just built a small minimalistic ecc82/83 ecc99 combo, but it hums and hisses a lot! Tried a lot of things like elevating the heaters and tried to switch up the preamp heaters.
I have checked all the ground cables, but I still think there is something with the grounding that is of.. if I plug in certain pedals the hum almost goes away!
Anyone have any idea?

Cheers
Gustav

Is the hum 100Hz or 50Hz? 50Hz is from shielding or radiation hum or "ground" hum. 100Hz hum comes from power supply ripple.

Your small amp is single ended. Push-pull amps have power supply ripple cancellation, but single ended amps do not. The B+ supply has to be totally clean to eliminate B+ ripple hum. Most small amaps like a Fender Champ draw the power tube B+ direct from th first reservoir filter cap. That will always hum.

Agree, please post a schemtic.

I will have to draw up a quick schematic then!
I built it with some parts I already had, one of which was a single ended output transformer! So I decided to make a ecc99 SRPP power stage in hope of some hum cancelling? Instead of parallel single end.
I was always expecting some hum! But what makes me think there is some grounding issue is that when I plug in certain pedal infront the noise level dies down to expectable levels!

Anyway I come back when I have listened to the hum a bit more and drawn up a schematic

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> when I plug in certain pedal infront the noise level dies down

That's why I say "clipleads". It sounds like a missing ground connection. You don't see it because you are too close. We can't see it because we are too far. Schematics are never accurate (the map is not the land). Random temporary connections of "grounds" may reveal the problem.

Which of your boxes have proper 3-pin wall-power plugs?

BTW a SRPP has nearly no "hum cancelling" against power supply hum. But your infront pedal says that may not be the problem anyway.

I think you are rigtht! Don’t have clipleads, but Something similar to test.. I think I found a leading cause! The input jack from the guitar is giving lots of noise, its a cheap jack and not very good I’m afraid.
It is still better with some drive pedals infront! But now it is ok to play with the ecc82 as driver tubes! The ecc83 still makes too much noise with its higher gain!

I will get that schematic up! Just need to make one that is a bit easier to see!

I hope these pictures will upload! Sorry for my messy schematic

Attachments

• C705A32C-2868-4BA9-91AA-5D7152F97B9E.jpeg
    C705A32C-2868-4BA9-91AA-5D7152F97B9E.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 89
  • FA71005F-D9D7-4A39-9E31-C1EA11780B71.jpeg
    FA71005F-D9D7-4A39-9E31-C1EA11780B71.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 0BD87946-7AE4-4B32-A0FB-B3DEF3C411B2.jpeg
    0BD87946-7AE4-4B32-A0FB-B3DEF3C411B2.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 50406C4C-68AA-4282-BE0D-CA8462055027.jpeg
    50406C4C-68AA-4282-BE0D-CA8462055027.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 88
Point taken! The absence of a metal chassis was the biggest problem!
I used some aluminum foil-tape to make a kind of losely connected Faraday cage and connected it to ground!

Before that I already tried to move the B+ till after the first smoothing stage, losing some voltage for some smoothing! (My schematic is missing a 4.7k between the filter caps)

And the input wires is not that close to the daisy chained 220v outlet

Now it is playing very nicely! Thanks

Hi, the hum will be created first by missing a metal chassis and case. Further the near of the power transformer and the mains cables to the amplifying circuit. Next, I recommend DC heating because heater to cathode assembly always provides little bit of hum. Early AC heater designs already had a de-hum potentiometer to balance hum out. Also the high tension filtering needs to be checked with a scope whether it works suffiecently. Maybe a second R-C filter may be necessary. Hiss may come from the first stage because there seems to be no volume/gain potentiometer in the circuit.

Thanks, but I think you missed the second page! I did adress some of the points if you look above! And it is working nicely and quiet now!
I’m real happy with it as a night time amp! Especially with a Dallas Rangemaster style treble booster infront! Real 60-70’s style rock sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.