Fender Deluxe 6v6 cathode to ground??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope some can advice me on this. I am looking at this schematic
http://waynereno.com/resources/AB763_Deluxe_Reverb_Schematic_Large.JPG
and seeing the pair of 6V6 cathodes going to the ground instead of bias resistor.
How can that be, I'm I not reading it right?
I thought I'd rebuild my DIY amp to Deluxe but I'm stuck not knowing what's going on with the 6V6 cathodes since I always use resistors but see none here.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I've missed that one big time. I've never build amp with fixed bias so it confused me.
Thanks. I think for I'll just swap the EL84s in my PP amp for 6V6 and rebuild the tone stack. for now I'll leave the bias as it is and see how it sounds. I got the right speaker all ready for the Deluxe so in my mind it should be pretty close (wishful thinking).

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> swap the EL84s in my PP amp for 6V6 ... I'll leave the bias as it is

NO!! 6V6 needs about twice the bias voltage for the same current (the current should be similar to EL84). So the cathode resistor for 6V6 should be like *twice* the value for EL84.

Or steal a value from a very similar (same plate and screen voltages) cathode-bias 6V6 amp.

Yes, yes, I did new bias on it. I didn't mention it in my last post. Running at 300V on plates, got the tubes at 24mA. I can't get more than 300V out of my PT but guess it's about 60% dissipation, middle of the road. With old Jensen speaker it sounds pretty much like the Deluxe with little less clean headroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.