Add 8 ohm output to Vox AC30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a "Korg era" 1993 Vox AC30TB6. I read on a forum that this amp's output transformer has an unused 8 ohm tap. Can anyone verify this? I was told the green wire terminating to the PCB is the 8 ohm wire (See photo). From the output transformer I see a black wires, one blue wire, and the green wire. There is also the thicker black wire running from the PBC to the 16 ohm jack. I assume this is a ground wire?

Does anyone know how I can add the 8 ohm tap or if this is possible? Would it be as simple as grounding the new 8 ohm output jack just as the exsisting 16 ohm one and running the green wire to the new 8 ohm jack the same way as the blue one is on the stock 16 ohm jack? I understand I could really screw up my amp if I did this wrong...

IMG_20190517_160721 by Zachary J Drummond, on Flickr

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• VOX-AC30-1993.gif
    VOX-AC30-1993.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 135
Does this point to the 8 ohm tap?
I believe the green wire is the 8 ohm tap and is simply 'parked' on the circuit board for your convenience.

Perhaps JMFahey, who is an expert in such matters, will confirm that you can remove the green wire from the board and transfer it to a new output jack as you've suggested.

Since you are 'just a guitar player', you may have no experience of working with valve amplifiers. In that case, it would be safer to leave the modification to a technician.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.