Hammond (L-100) expert help identifying speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't want MIDI out, just MIDI in, because my DAW can play the keys far better than I can. I already have a cheap MIDI keyboard with built in sequencer to play my DIY digital synth 2016 version. Its far more portable than the 1971 version and can run from one of those power bricks made for charging phones, or any USB port. it's really a bunch of software running inside a Teensy board. The same one used in many popular Eurorack synthesizer modules.

YouTube

The synth, the small keyboard and a portable PC are seen here on a vacation trip about a year ago. It all ran for several hours at a time from the UPS without AC power.

Attachments

• P1210718_x.jpg
    P1210718_x.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1210979_x.jpg
    P1210979_x.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 84
  • P1280999_x.jpg
    P1280999_x.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 72
  • P1300470_x.jpg
    P1300470_x.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 75
Ok, so you'd need 396 small SPST relays to replace all busbar contacts of one manual. And no, there ain't no electronic equivalent that would fit at that places, as the matching transformers adds currents, not signal voltages.
But have a close look: It is possible that the M-3 doesn't feature harmonic foldback. This means that there aren't nine contacts behind the keys in the higher notes. So no 396 relays...

Best regards!

Thanks guys. My intent is to use the low res as a woofer for a garage speaker. It is possible that it is only useful as a guitar speaker as even the low res is not all that low but perhaps in a transmission line it may work.

I have several 16 ohm quam 4" full ranges and a neat little 16 ohm Jensen horn tweeter that I thought to use along with it.

The high res (smooth cone) 12" might work as a midrange in a PA cabinet. It might be interesting to try to use the two 12" drivers in a 3 way. Of course a 12" mid would beam but...

Come to think George, an attachable solenoid rack might just be the best solution to what you're trying to do. No worries about compromising the sound with alternative contact solutions. Parts count would be much lower as well. Trick is to find ju-ust the right little whackers out there in surplus land...

George, I envy your view off the deck

That was a "once in a lifetime" vacation trip. We gathered 12 family members ages 4 to 82 and rented a 4 story house in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a week. That is the Atlantic Ocean in the background. We went in the "off season" when it was still quite cold, so the rent was far less, but still pricy enough that I doubt I could do it again.

Unfortunately the grandkids spent their time in the game room, but I was either out on the deck, in the pool, the ocean, or wandering around with my cameras. I wanted to stage a video with the synthesizers on the seashore, but the wind was strong enough to create some serious sandstorms, the kind that could render electronics dead, and eyes blind.

They are forcasting snow flurries for us tonight.

I live in northern West Virginia where I-70 cuts across, about 250 miles east of Indianapolis. We got in the car yesterday between storms and drove South. I'm currently in a cheap hotel about 3 miles from Florida. Be back in about a week.

Attachments

• 51ivi43CQyL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    51ivi43CQyL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 39
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.