Integrate headphone output in a el guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey
have anyone tried to intregate a heaphone amp in a electric guitar ?? so i can connect headphones directly to a mini Jack on top of the guitar.
Can anyone recommend a small pcb amp diy kit for the purpuse?another thing i thinking of is to take out the parts in a VOX ampllug if the board is not to big.
Edit:was supposed to post this in headphones,dont know why it was posted here..

Last edited:
have anyone tried to intregate a heaphone amp in a electric guitar ??
There was a brief period somewhere around 1970 when several Japanese guitar manufacturers integrated small solid-state amplifiers, including small loudspeakers, right into some of their electric guitars. Basically, they built the audio half of a transistor pocket-radio into the guitar.

Clearly the idea hasn't stood the test of time. But there's nothing to stop you putting a headphone amp in a guitar, if you can find room for it in the guitar body.

I don't think you'll find pre-made PCBs or kits for what you want. But I think your idea of gutting a VOX Amplug and using that is a good one.

-Gnobuddy

An LM386 is perfect for that, but remember you´ll need a 9V battery to feed it so provide space and some kind of holder for it.

FWIW around 1969 or 70 I mounted one of the first chipamps available, it was a 1W Philips ¿TAA300? inside an electric Bass, and amazed friends with "the pickup so powerful it could straight drive a large speaker cabinet"
Which it did.

Won quite a few bets and got a ton of giggles out of it :)

So driving headphones is trivial by comparison :)

...driving headphones is trivial by comparison :)
But we've all ignored the tricky part when it comes to headphones - the need to heavily filter out treble from clipping.

Normally the guitar speaker does this job for us, but headphones won't. A clipping solid-state amp straight into headphones will sound absolutely harsh, fizzy, and horrible, and there is a good chance all that excess treble it will actually damage your hearing.

This is why I think the OPs suggestion of using the guts from a VOX Amplug is a good way to go. The Amplug was already designed to drive headphones, so I'm guessing the designer already put some sort of guitar speaker emulation, or at least heavy treble filtering, into it.

There are lots of LM386 kits and modules, yes. None of them, as far as I know, comes with any sort of guitar speaker emulation filter. They are designed to drive a loudspeaker, not headphones, so they don't need a filter like that.

-Gnobuddy

But we've all ignored the tricky part when it comes to headphones - the need to heavily filter out treble from clipping.
Nobody mentioned clipping :) , I assumed headphone output so as to to be able to hear the instrument without plugging it somewhere else, as in practicing without bothering anybody.
A 9V LM386 driven into clipping won´t only sound harsh, it will melt your brain or at least make you deaf quickly.

I guess it's up to Knizm to tell us what he wants to do.

I assumed clipping would be involved, because I don't know any electric guitar players who want no additional distortion at all. The sound of ultra-clean electric guitar seems to be gone from our collective consciousness.

You make a very good point, an LM386 running on 9V has far too much output power to be safe to use with headphones. Yet another reason to stick with the original plan - use the guts from a VOX Amplug. Or the doodad Enzo suggested.

-Gnobuddy

Well, I´ve made my own version of "Amplug" for ages, : a single MXR Dist+ type "preamp" , which can be set clean of course, a tone control and an LM386 :D
Including a 1/4" output jack also, so you can plug a "real" cabinet at 3 AM bedroom levels. :eek:

Sold a ton of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.