H&K Tubeman II - Problems with sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have guitar preamp H&K Tubeman II. And, recently , I got a problem: when i begin to play, the sound is good and power, distortion is great too. But after 10-15 minutes sound changes and distortion doesn't same when i have started. It is more poor, hasn't power.

The preamp is not young, around 12 years old, but i use it seldom. I had supposed, may be electric capacitors have dried, and i have changed all of them. It didn't help.

I have iron and multimeter, but I don't understand electronic. I hope, may be you offer some advices what i can change or check in preamp.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• H&K Tubeman II.pdf
    390 KB · Views: 56
Can be solder joint that has cracked. I experienced this once, they weren't trouble until the amp heated up and the joints would open up, they were small and very hard to find even with a magnifier. I would look around the tube socket

Last edited:
I did two photos. If need more, i can do it :).

Attachments

• IMG_20190329_134326.jpg
    IMG_20190329_134326.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20190329_134915.jpg
    IMG_20190329_134915.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 67
I'm no expert for sure, most of the people around here are way better and some of them are professionnal levels.. maybe my eyes are getting old, hard to find such 'intermitent' issue looking at pictures, I think :)

If you notice the problem only after the tube warm up, you have to look around the tube, using a magnifier to look at solder joints (while slightly move parts) can help you find it. May be just some dirt in the tube socket..

Note: I didn't take a look at the schematic but seeing that 450V capacitor on your picture makes me think of safety concern, please be sure to know about discharging capacitors as they could store enough current to hurt you, even with the amplifier not connected in the outlet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.