First amp build: low output and gated sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried my first amp build, a Marshall 2203, and it has very low output and a gated fuzz sound.

The tubes are replaced and should work. The output tubes feel hot to me, and before there is silence, the amp screaches softly. I suspect oscillation.
Or I forgot some connections offcourse.

Does anybody has an idea where to start checking with these symptoms?

Sorry, schematic is attached now.

I have full output and lost the gated sound now: bad ground in the p.i.

Now the amp sounds good but hums even with a grounded input.
Hum is most likely a bad grounding scheme? What could be other causes?

Attachments

• 2203 schematic.png
    2203 schematic.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 92
Moving the input wire of V1 away from the heater wire helped a ton but there is still hum Knockbill.

Printer2, pulling V1 kills most of the hum.
Rayma, turning the preamp pot down solves most of the hum.
Indianajo the PT is on the other side of the chassis.

Hmm this sounds like V1A is the culprit, but what to do with it... Time to elevate the heaters?

Moving the input wire of V1 away from the heater wire helped a ton but there is still hum Knockbill.

Printer2, pulling V1 kills most of the hum.
Rayma, turning the preamp pot down solves most of the hum.
Indianajo the PT is on the other side of the chassis.

Hmm this sounds like V1A is the culprit, but what to do with it... Time to elevate the heaters?
I experienced something similar once, maybe it could help.. was playing with my hand between the output transformer and V1 then I noticed some variations in the hum, so I think it would be a good idea to shield the preamp tubes using those aluminium spring loaded cap.. hum goes away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.