Instrument single input channel selector pedal switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello world,

I'm currently working on a project for a buddy/band-member of mine. He plays 4 instruments (2 banjos, mandolin and a saw); we're currently working on electrifying all of them. Anyways...

What I'm working on is a 4 channel foot switch selector (4 individual "sends"), with one 1/4" input and 4 outs. What I'm having trouble with is achieving the correct "wiring" or schematic that would allow for 1 of the 4 selectors to pass signal at a time. For example, if one of the switches were engaged and then a different one was triggered on, the previous engaged switch would be triggered off.

I have been trying to figure it out on my own, but this is my first project. I've been working with 3pdt switches, but because of the latching, the user of the switcher would have to learn tap dancing; and we just don't have time for that. If I use momentary switches, he would have to keep his foot down the entire performance, and that's the only way he keeps time; and again, we don't have the time for that.

So, I've been looking into arduino based programming to achieve this, but there are two major questions when going that route. One, do I really need an arduino to achieve what I'm envisioning, or is there a way to wire some foot switches that I haven't discovered yet? And two, if the arduino is the route to take, what code do I use to achieve said goal?

Any, and all, advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Kevin

So, essentially it’s would act like a 1 in 4 out audio splitter, but instead of having 4 lines passing signal, only one line would be passing signal. That one signal would be determined by its corresponding foot switch.

What I’m trying to do is only have one instrument cable for the 4 instruments he plays, and to alleviate the pain of switching on/off 4 different EQ pedals for the desired tone of each instrument. The switches would select which path the signal travels to be hardwired to an old 4 channel audio mixer that already has the EQ customization built in.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Three two-way stomp switches minimum. A change may need one or two taps. Probably objectionable.

A rotary sequencing switch. Once common, now rare. Changing from input 1 to input 4 would take three taps, inevitable with fixed sequence.

Same, hacked-up as a cam rotated by ratchet like a motorcycle shifter, working mini-switches.

You could in fact rig a $1 1P4T rotary switch vertical shaft, with a boot-grabber on top. Insert foot, twist leg. Natural interface but very awkward dance, and will need sturdy end-stops so the foot doesn't bust the switch guts.

There are interlocking pushbuttons in 4-gang. Also becoming rare and not suitable for foot-work.

Four separate buttons is the logical user interface, but requires cancelling the other inputs when an input is selected. This "can" be done with pure relay logic, or cheaper with MML relay logic (caps to hold data through transition).

Yes, this can be resolved to TTL/CMOS flip-flops. Suggest you read Lancaster's RTL TTL and CMOS CookBooks. "Counters".

You are probably correct: a CPU. For a total novice, the BASIC Stamp may be easiest to get started, but there is much attraction in arduino or/and that 99-cent controller.

And the golden oldie: four guitars(etc), one cord. Unplug banjo, set down, grab ukulele, plug-in, play.

There is a cheap, easy to source 1P4T switch, every 3 speed ceiling fan pull switch is just that. You'd have to rig a pulley to turn it into a stomp switch. And you would have to cycle to the right channel. Inelegant, but doable.

I do have a 1P2T stomp switch in my parts box, but it would be difficult to source such things nowadays.

Edit: oops, I think a ceiling fan switch is probably only 3 contacts. There goes that idea.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have a feeling this won't work. Idea is that a 4-bit Latch (ganged flip-flops) senses four momentary switches. A common Latch pulse loads the latch ("ST" store).

It latches the states of all 4 buttons. Intent is you only foot one button, the others default low. If you fat-foot 2 buttons, both are latched. This may be a Feature or a Flaw, your choice. (This could be prevented mechanically with tall ridges between switches.)

I have a feeling it will fail due to switch bounce.

I post to excite thoughts from members with more experience in small logic systems.

Attachments

• bigfootyancey-1.gif
    bigfootyancey-1.gif
    11 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I have a feeling it will fail due to switch bounce.

I post to excite thoughts from members with more experience in small logic systems.
You'd need a few capacitors + FET to delay and clean the clock. Not what it says on the app note but it'd probably work well enough.

If you've half a brain you'll be able to do this with a handful of relays. (Put "ladder logic" into your favourite search engine if you've never seen this)

You used to be able to buy interlocked selector switches, every cassette player ever made had them. And I'm sure I've seen industrial grade ones, but not for years. If you're handy with metal work, the half press position releases all switches, then the one you're pressing carries onwards into the latched position.

Of course today it has to be done with a PLC running it's own BOOTROM and O/S with a GUI.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> If you've half a brain you'll be able to do this with a handful of relays.

Is that a dig?

My half-brain leads to 5 relays, 4 large e-caps, and tangled wiring.

Search "Ladder Logic" today and you mostly get software emulations of true relay logic.

You can use four of MAX16054 switching IC to do this function. Use 4 momentary push buttons for each of the ICs input. Wire 3 diodes from each switch output to 'clear' of other three ICs.
Switch bounce is taken care of the IC.
Each IC has high and low outputs at 5 volts logic level which you can use to drive a FET switch or relay as necessary
Regards,
mandu

Attachments

• MAX16054.pdf
    113.1 KB · Views: 34
> If you've half a brain you'll be able to do this with a handful of relays.

Is that a dig?
No, not at all.
That's just me being too lazy to work it out; capture the results and post them here :D

My half-brain leads to 5 relays, 4 large e-caps, and tangled wiring.
Probably about right; depending on which relays you have handy (we used to have ones with lots of poles for AND and OR). You can cheat with a handful of diodes.
Just as lazy today :D

Search "Ladder Logic" today and you mostly get software emulations of true relay logic.
Yup, but the ideas are the same. Ish.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> you will need 4 relays +......

Thank you!

Indeed elegant as ladder-logic drawing.

Requires (practically) 4PDT relays, and a LOT of contact busing.

On the audio side, I would use a different form of switch (shunt loads the sum point; series would not) but that is a minor detail.

If a 5PDT relay were commonly sold, seems the audio end would be done. And of course a xP2T relay can be paralleled-up from 2P2T forms (parallel the coils and the contacts follow).

LED indicator (a must in the distraction of performance) is trivial.

I'm not sure anyone unfamiliar with relay logic forms and conventions will quickly grok that wiring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.