Need an audio pc build under 1 lakh rupees

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys o/

My friend wants to try home studio recordings. He knows to play a few instruments.
I have searched for audio builds and got some results but i thought to ask the community just to be sure. He is on a budget of 1 lakh rupees. He had an old pc already and it would be nice if some parts of it could be used.

can we make do without a graphics card with option of getting it later?

He will be using midi keyboard
2i2 focusrite audio interface
Nuendo software
krk rokit 5 monitor speaker

I don't have much idea about the audio devices, are they good for this build? Also, will an already built machine be better at this budget? You think a laptop will be more beneficial than a desktop?
Thanks for the help

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't know what you call "an old PC". I did "studio recordings" on a 386 PC over 20 years ago. You need video, obviously; many PC motherboards have fine video on-board, a plug-in "video card" is really more for rapid-fire video games than any audio use. (Oh, some fancy audio software can use a fancy video card for increased computations, but not needed for recording or editing sounds.)

Nuendo will do your audio and MUCH-MUCH more. It may be overwhelming? A new version may not be comfortable on an old PC? Or it may run fine; I am totally out of the business for some years. The no-cost few-frills audio software is Audacity; I produced a LOT of music with another program of similar ability.

The KEY tool is a good set of ears, used hard. I have heard very fine equipment make terrible recordings, and excellent recordings from very modest equipment.

I can suggest use the following.
-Any modern Intel processor mother board should work. But do some research on motherboard brand issues with your DAW software.
-Use as much ram as you can install. Using VST string instruments eat lots of memory. You may need minimum 16GB.
-Avoid 32 bit VST instruments. The OS is minimum windows 7 or above 64 bit.
-Separate graphics card is preferred, built in cards use existing ram and occupy memory area reserved for 32 bit applications (bottom memory)
-Use a SSD for operating system and programs. Audio Data files can be in another hard disk
-Do not use the computer as a multipurpose device. Use internet connection only for updating, licensing. Disconnect internet at all other times. Avoid Bluetooth and Wi-Fi networks.
-Set your USB not to sleep, Never turn off hard disks, no screen saver.
- Remember for 16 bit 44.1 kHz audio recording need minimum 5 mb space per minute per track. If you record many tracks, you need fast hard disk at once. Normal hard disks can handle 20 tracks easily if other non audio applications are not running. If you record 24 bit 48 kHz you will need much more space and SSD for audio storage.
Your storage disk should be format to NTFS only.
Your Focusrite USB device is OK. Note that headphone output will sound mono by default. You have to set Focusrite software mixer to hear stereo image.
Regards,
Mandu

I don't know about pricing in India, but the last PC I built for my wife was really an "upgrade" of her last one. New motherboard, processor, memory, SSD and data drive, video card. Paid $700US for it all. I like AMD processors, because I think I get more for my lower price point. The system has an 8-core processor, 16 gb ram, 256gb SSD and 1tb hard drive....

I like Asus and MSI motherboards....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.