Move over Fender and Marshall

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amen Brother.

People will discuss to agonizing detail magic capacitors and resistors which will change response by fractions of a dB, if at all, while speakers are ignored ... and these provide HUGE 10/12dB peaks and throughs all over the place.

Just check any speaker frequency response curve.

I have tried with 1M input w/buffer. There is somewhat better highs, but for my purpose
( part of which is the elegance of simple circuits ) the tone is OK as is .
I was playing with the same idea (only daydreaming, though) of simple guitar amp of this kind, so it is nice to see a real-world implementation, with good results.
I understand the appeal of the elegance of (overly) simple circuits, but in this case fixed gain chip TDA1517 also fixes input impedance to a somewhat low value (for a guitar). Another non-fixed-gain stereo chip with external resistors (for setting the gain and input impedance) don't need separate buffer and should bring a little better sound at the cost of increased resistors count, but the circuit remains simple and elegant as well. If you try this, please post your findings back here.

Get any cheap used Distortion pedal, simply use it as a front end (all have 470k to 1M input impedance) .
I mean, the cheapest ones, which do NOT have True Bypass but in general have an input buffer.

And even if it does, then leave it always ON, with volume set to 10 , Distortion to 0 and Tone, if available, to some point neutral where it does not affect your sound.

Plan B: I can suggest a simple input buffer for your current chipamp, built with no PCB and fed from the internal power supply.

Here is 1 M input Z version ( by popular demand ) .............. :)

Attachments

• opamp.png
    opamp.png
    34 KB · Views: 238
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.