electronics for large diagphram microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being a musician and home recording guy i bought a large diagphram condenser microphone for recording vocals and other stuff. Due to some humming when i connected the mike i decided to take it apart to fix it. NOT a good idea. Something inside it went "no good", so now all i am left with now is a casing with some broken electronics and a large diagphram capsule.
My question is this:
Is there an easy way to test if the capsule is still working, and if it is, can i build a new curcuit to get the microphone working again.

Last edited:
The easiest way to test that capsule is to fit it into another known working LDC mic. To test a capsule for function with test gear is possible, but it will not tell you if the capsule still sounds OK.

Because of the very high impedance of these circuits, you really should wear good quality electrical gloves to prevent any of your skin oils getting in touch with the capsule or circuit.

There are many DIY adventure kits for LDC mics out there. I know this is a DIY forum, but I advise getting a new LDC, a good quality cable and carry on making music. You could get a whole album done in the time it takes to knock up or repair your first LDC mic.

Thank you all for your answers.
Enzo: It is a second hand mike so there is no service available.
tony hunt: I don't want to risk an other mike by changing the capsules around. anyway i dont really think that it is the capsule that is fried. It is clearly good advice to take precautions against greasy fingers and static electricity. I will keep that in mind.
spladski: Thanks for the link. I believe that it is exactly what i was looking for.

the capsule needs a dc bias,and mostly getting that off the phantom rail directly is not a good idea. best is a HF converter,with adjustable voltage to switch sensitivity like a10dB pad.

then a low noise impedance stage with very high ohmic bias resistor ~ 1Gohm..

not a trivial job..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.