Russian 6P45S/EL509/6KG6A quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any experience with the NOS russian Svetlana EL509s you can find on eBay? Any trusted good seller?

I need a quad for a Traynor guitar amp but I just bought a quad that came DOA. Only one of them seems to work. You can find a lot of these tubes and very cheap but I'm afraid to order again after my first experience. Other NOS brands like Sylvania, Siemens, RCA, etc are expensive and rare and I need four of them. Also, it would be nice to be matched.

Please let me know your experience with the 6P45S and if you can recommend a trusted seller.

Otherwise I'm thinking seriously to replace the magnoval sockets with octals and use the new JJ EL509 or EHX KT90 but it would be nice to keep the originality of the amplifier.

electrocutioner was right. The J/J EL509 comes with an octal base, as well as the Svetlana EL509 II:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Although octal sockets are more common by far than magnovals, this has to be considered as a serious drawback, as these tubes share the pinout with 6L6, KT88 etc. (plate pin #3 next to heater pin #2...)

Best regards!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.