How to add effect loop or line in to Fender solid state amp (Fender switcher)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for help on modding an older Fender solid state amp. Model is a Fender Switcher, build in the late 80s in Taiwan, a solid state model, in good working condition through the years. The amp is supposed to have 30 Watts, it has a nice clean sound on channel 1, less useful gain sounds on ch 2. It can go real loud, for most situations it is all i need.
For rehearsing at home I have lately turned to a pod pro and I would now like to connect that to the amp. The amp however has no effect loop or line in, so I was wondering wether someone can help me on how to add that.
I contacted Fender and the provided me with a schematic and part list of the amp (quite an impressive sign of seriousness and good support, thanks at you again, Fender guys!). I am attaching that.
However, my electronics competencies are severely limited. I guess the point to connect to would be right in front of the power amp-IC, which is pictured in the upper right corner of the schematic (denoted as IC-7): Would it suffice to cut the line at the +side of C42 and feed in the pod signal there?

thanks for any hint

Attachments

• Sidekick Switcher Bass Schematics-Parts List.PDF
    953.8 KB · Views: 286
See the two 47k resistors before C42 near the power amp? Those resistors are mixing resistors to mix the two preamp channels together. Get another 47k, connect it to the point the other two join, and that is your new line in. I would add a series cap, like a 0.1uf or something between your new resistor and the new jack. That would block any DC that might be sitting on a signal source.

But before you do all that, have you tried simply running your external unit into the regular input? Set the volume relatively low to limit overdriving, but ought to work.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A hack: if you are not using the reverb, tap any strong source directly across the Reverb pot top and bottom. This is a variant of Enzo's plan, plus a knob. The source must be able to also drive the 2.2K to the Ch2 chip output, and preferably overwhelm it. An iPod would do this fine. Sadly the Pod Pro (and Pod HD Pro) don't give ANY audio specifications, so just try.

No added parts and easy to un-do if it disappoints. Drawback is that Ch2 won't work right while PP is connected, but you say Ch2 was not nice, and you can yank the PP if you want Ch2 again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.