Baldwin Panoramic Tone Converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what i thought i was doing by disassembling a Baldwin HT2 organ i found free on craigslist was getting some sort of easy to do guitar tube amp project for the cost of a few hours of screw-gun and sawzall mayhem. which it may be, but i realized what kind of amateur i am when i got home and noticed that i had completely over-looked the output transformer and all it's compliments. i remember seeing it and vaguely thinking, hey, don't i need that? but it wasn't on a cool aluminum chassis and the tubes were missing. so it went in the trash can with the rest of the really well built hard to destroy '60s american know-how. right now i'm thinking i'm in way over my head. i watched a video on youtube where this guy converted an old j.w. davis p.a. amp to a guitar amp pretty easy and i contracted tube fever. i searched around the net but didn't see any posts where anyone actually finished the "panoramic" project. i have no testing equipment, i look at schematics close but don't completely understand. i could probably replace all the old disc capacitors with my soldering technique.

is this the wrong project for a novice to start with?

btw, if you live in tampa you will see these listed for trade. thx

Attachments

• 20161129_131703.jpg
    20161129_131703.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 76

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> i watched a video on youtube where this guy converted an old j.w. davis p.a. amp to a guitar amp pretty easy

It's never easy like the videos show.

> is this the wrong project for a novice to start with?

Very possibly.

That IS a very special reverb. If you got all the parts. If the reverb-parts will work without the rest of the organ for load and filtering. You will probably need some interfacing to modern equipment. I don't see intimate details in a hasty search. So you may indeed be over your head.

thanks prr. here are some additional shots i've taken. Vintage Tube Reverb Project - WTT - notice the ecc83 tubes say "made in england" i haven't seen much info on this unit either. any idea what it's worth?

i did decide to pull the tubes and get them tested. testers range from $100 to $500!! one shop wanted to charge me to test them. he probably just didn't want to bother. i have a luthier friend i will ask later today.

Attachments

• 20161129_131927.jpg
    20161129_131927.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.