EQ vs Tone Stack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just the inconvenience of having an outboard device to get your tone vs. having built-in controls. There are probably more tone stacks than you know about. Starting with simple treble bleed control(tone), Princeton stack,Bandmaster Stack,Voight stack,James stack,Baxandall stack and of course, the FMV stack. There are probably others. And of course changing around the components will give you options to mod all of these. One of these should sound OK. I think you would be surprised how much control you get without all the knobs to fool with especially six.

Last edited:
I like EQ's personally, you get better flexibility. I don't think having 6 knobs instead of 3 is any issue, well for me anyway. I usually set the EQ to compensate for room acoustics and then leave it the rest of the gig/practice. I will note that I only use one guitar during the course of an evening.

Since this is DIY, the EQ would be built in to the amp instead of tone controls.. not an outboard pedal.
There are a lot of limitations w/ traditional tone controls, and I'm just trying to figure out if there's actually a good reason to put up w/ them... I've seen amps w/ tone controls as well as EQ..

Actually, maybe that's the best idea... I've been reading other threads about shaping distortion, and maybe having tone controls, then lots of gain/distortion, then an EQ to shape the final output would be good.

I get the feeling this will be a 1/2 finished breadboard amp for a lot longer than originally planned.. So many things to try!

NOT an expert but...

i belive the diferance is that a standard resistor eq is cut only like early tone control but more selective as apossed to an active valve tone stack ( TMB) which can boost as well as cut.

please anyone knows beter correct me as I'm just learing this stuff too.
hmmm is THAT what theb pentode section in my dynacord is (sorry bout the hijack) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/273820-dynacord-da15-v-schmatic-wanted.html

Sorry, but you are mistaken about the TMB stack. It is passive. It only can reduce the signal. Some people feel like it is active because of the interactive nature of the stack. The controls interact with each other more than say, a Baxandall stack. Depending on the design of the 6-band EQ, it could be passive or active. But if you design for passive EQ and have the TMB tone stack, you will have a LOT of signal make up to do. A typical TMB stack looses about 70-80% of its signal. It also depends if you drive it with a cathode follower or not.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.