Looking for someone to build an acoustic guitar preamp for me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm a working musician and am constantly trying to refine my sound. My latest quest is to put everything I need (preamp, processors, etc.) into the smallest box possible.

My solution right now to reduce the size of my setup by switching some units from rack gear to guitar pedals for some of the fx. I also was using a rack BBE Sonic Maximizer but recently bought one of their desktop models which is significantly smaller. While this reduces the size a bit, I can't help but think that the guts of each of these units could all be pulled out and combined into one box, sharing one power supply, and reducing the size even more. This would make it much easier for travel and setup for shows.

What I need is a blender preamp for my acoustic guitar with separate volume for each channel, a stereo fx loop with mix control, a digital EQ with programmable presets so I can switch between guitars easily, digital reverb and delay fx with programmable presets to easily switch fx. There's certainly more to it than this but this is the basic setup.

I would love to learn how to do all this myself but I'm an independent musician and it's hard enough keeping up with gigs, booking, practicing, marketing, etc. So I'm wondering if someone on this forum would be interested in working on this project with me or who could direct me to someone who does custom builds like this. Any sort of direction here is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't WASTE time with inferior solutions, THIS is the Man:

pclogo.jpg

Effects Pedal Board Systems

Not really that expensive when you think of the price
of a screwed up concert. Then word gets out...

...hard to overcome.

Always harder for the little guy who has
to play through dirty and screwed up power
and neon lights that screw up your guitar tone.

When you do all those pedals and digital effects...

Let me play through my Vintage Fender or Mesa IIC+
or Marshall , or Hiwatt, or Samson.

Thanks JMFahey for the suggestion of Pete Cornish. Looks like he builds great stuff. I knew, going into this, that the cost would likely be a lot.

I'll have a phase where I try to get just the right sound and options. This is usually a bigger rack of gear. Then I try to simplify it. This usually means I lose some options and sometimes sound quality. I've done this back and forth as new gear comes out or as I discover new ways of doing things. I think in the long run I would save money if I could get something that has everything I want and allows for just enough flexibility.

I went through Pete Cornish's website and it certainly looks like he does good work and could do what I am after so I sent him an email explaining my project.

I would still love to hear other thoughts on builders or ideas with the project in general.

okcrum,

I've considered the digital mixer route but it's not quite right for my purposes. The digital mixers that are smaller are harder to navigate. I need certain knobs and preset buttons available during a performance. I also run a dual source pickup system and would still need a separate preamp to get the right voltage to my internal mic. I'd also want to include the BBE Sonic Maximizer. So this means I'd still have to have 3 devices. Thanks for the suggestion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Over the years I had built a multitude of effectboards, switches, presets etc. But today I hate fiddeling with complicated stuff on stage, so there is a gutiar amp with some knobs, a stratacaster and a cable. Maybe I will add a wahwah pedal in the future. But that will be all!

To avoid dimmer noise I replaced the original single coils by stacked humbucker, added a simple JFET-buffer and some sreening inside the guitar body. This works now close to noiseless.

Last edited:

Ah!! but do they meet ?:
What I need is a blender preamp for my acoustic guitar with separate volume for each channel, a stereo fx loop with mix control, a digital EQ with programmable presets so I can switch between guitars easily, digital reverb and delay fx with programmable presets to easily switch fx. There's certainly more to it than this but this is the basic setup.

Thanks for posting, they will definitely be useful for DIY type musicians :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.