Pure DIY Guitar Amp Project Ending...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pure DIY Guitar Amp Project Ending... And Restarting !

Hello All,

I am finishing this Tube Guitar amplifier project, a one-of-a-kind fully designed and built by myself... A "Pure DIY" one, or nearly...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Specs :

pure clean = 20W pentode / 5W triode.
overdriven = 25W pentode / 8W triode.
Volume/Treble/Middle/Bass/Reverb.
2x12AX7, 1x12AT7, 2x5881/6L6WGB.
Middle booster FSW.
10" speaker (Fender V1030 / 8ohms / 30W).
mass = 13.9kg.
size = 315x315x225mm (196mm top).

To complete the instrument, the faceplates (front and rear) are awaiting replacement soon for custom-engraved Black-Face style models...

A+!

Last edited:
Wow, very nice. If I may ask, how did you go about designing it? Did you start with a basic schematic/build and then add to it (filtering, EQ, mid boost, etc) or did you design and build everything all at once? I ask because you've managed to fit an amazing amount of components, options and watts into a fairly small chassis!

Thank you, Guys !

Nice work!!! The looks really Rock! I hope the sound does too ...

Here are two samples, showing various sounds and settings, recorded "direct-live" in a friend's music shop. The guitars were an 70's ES-345 and a Mini-Humbucker Les Paul :

R05 0002 PGJV2 Juju2.MP3 by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds

R05 0001 PGJV2 Juju1.MP3 by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds

Wow, very nice. If I may ask, how did you go about designing it? Did you start with a basic schematic/build and then add to it (filtering, EQ, mid boost, etc) or did you design and build everything all at once? I ask because you've managed to fit an amazing amount of components, options and watts into a fairly small chassis!

It is a personal design and conception, but evidently I took some inspiration from many ideas coming from other circuits, and tested what was worth or useless to keep, add or modify...

For example, the power tubes sockets are mounted on a suspended plate, along with a damping screen, to avoid microphonics due to the compactness vs. power of the amp :

The amp shows no adverse noise or microphonics and an excellent S/N ratio at any setting, even at full power : it is a great deal of design and labour to achieve that...

I am currently reworking the booster to give it a "more overtone, less midrangey" effect.

A+!

Last edited:
End of the story :

- front and back faceplates changed to "BlackFace" custom engraved ones.
- revised footswitchable booster circuit, more brilliant, less midrangey-centered.

Happy New Year 2014 & Guitars & Amps & Audio & DIY &... Etc...

A+!

wow man, that's impressive. lovely sound, looks great too,

Thanks !

although I woulda screwed the baffle plate in from the back so there'd be no screws showing on the speaker mesh. but that's a personal taste thing.

I installed it à la Boogie MKI/MKII : it is much more easy to install or remove in any situation, as there was not enough room at the back to do the same with the same ease, due to the compactness of the amp, which has the size of a Fender Pro-Junior, I recall it.

I lastly modified the booster : it gives +12dB supplementary gain and crispsness at the click of the footswitch without getting flabby in the bass range, instead of solely boosting the midrange with a lack of brilliance.

now make 200 more an sell em.

That's another story, indeed... Something like science-fiction...

A+!

very nice. I'm beginning a guitar amp project of my own. could you tell me what you used to cover the wood box ad explain the process for making the installation look so professional (in particular, the seams and corners).

thanks,

kuroguy

Well... Rewriting it in english langage would be too time-consuming, sorry...

1 - All the parts needed to cover the cabinet (grillcloth, vinyl TOLEX covering, feets, corners, special glue) comes from tubetown.de .

2 - I described the procedure of building (as best as I could) here, with numerous pictures showing the stages and tricks I used :

RIFF GAUCHE • Voir le sujet - NEW COMPACT COMBO AMP

3 - the TOLEX pattern I used on this amp is called "Green Levant" at tubetown.de .

4 - the remaining thing to have are : patience, enough room on the floor, good ruler and square , good sight, and a requested skillness, inevitably... But it is not as difficult as I though if you have the right tools and products.

A+!

Another two amps full DIY design and construction : the Orient-Express and the Val-King.

These are low power compact tube amps (5 Watts RMS clean sound in a 8" AlNiCo speaker), both with reverb (I integrated an EH Holy Grail Nano circuit inside - no tube there, sorry, because not enough room to built a quality tube reverb circuit), and the Orient-Express moreover having a tube tremolo.

Pictures :

Size comparison with a Fender Blues Junior :

A+!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.