Bass guitar to Passive PA Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lugging it

.... but carrying 200lbs+ of stuff around isn't very fun :p

Welcome to the joys of playing bass!

There's many ways to skin this cat - the key question is whether your speaker is part of your "instrument" (ie. fundamentally part of "your sound") or not.

If it is, then you're stuck with lugging that kit and miking it into the house PA. You should be able to add extra cabinets for big stages.

If not, then you can DI into the house PA and you've got the freedom to add/subtract amps and "PA" speakers as needed - lugging only a small speaker 90% of the time.

I was from the latter school and my stage set up was a 12" foldback wedge at stage front (next to the PA wedges) plus a 2 x12" sealed box (with tweeters) at the back pointing diagonally across stage at the singer, guitarist(s) & most importantly, the drummer.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
if you buy used gear, remember to have someone help you checking everything is ok and working as it should

to compete with new gear, you will probably have to look at real good pro stuff
and it might get expencive too, or worn out

but ofcourse you could be lucky

Faking it.

..the amp reproducer type things ...do they come close?

I've not seen any PC or i-thingie based stuff I like. And having either in your stage chain is not good.

I have a soft spot for the Vox Amplug (esp the bass one). One of those will drive any PA (or home stereo) based set up nicely.

And, for guitar, the Vox valvetronix and yamaha/fender equivalents are rather nice. Cheap at pawn shops too - not sure if there's a bass-amp equivalent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.