Can I use SMPS to power bass guitar amp instead of HUGE transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm back! I was away from my computer for a few days but I was thrilled to come back to some discussion on my question. I'm still learning the keywords to this technology so I can get better at searching for threads and things like that but I appreciate y'all chiming in even if this has been discussed a lot before.

My plan is to definitely buy a ready-made SMPS module likely from the company Connex Electronics. They have several power sizes so I think I could find a match. Some of the modules supply several separate voltages which might come in handy for replacing the multi-secondary toroid transformer. Yeah, I couldn't possibly nor want to build a power supply myself!

I regarding the high load that powering up the capacitors can create, I think there is a "soft start" module that I can buy that might smooth out this process somehow.

I'll look up "galvanometric" and what capacitive loads entail. You guys gave me some good details to look into.

I'm still reasoning out this whole concept. Maybe it'd be cheaper and easier to just buy the amp module and power supply and just put together a Class-D amp instead of cobbling this Ampeg head together, which could be a a fruitless endeavor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.